Seriously?


How to be a 1950's housewife

In a 1950's high school home economics textbook, teaching girls how to prepare for married life.

1. Have dinner ready: Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal on time.

This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him, and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospects of a good meal are part of the warm welcome needed.

2. Prepare yourself: Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking.
He has just been with a lot of work- weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

3. Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives, gathering up school books, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables.
Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too.

4. Prepare the children: Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces if they are small, comb their hair, and if necessary, change their clothes.
They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

5. Minimize the noise: At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of washer, dryer, dishwasher or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.
Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and be glad to see him.

6. Things to avoid: Don't greet him with problems or complaints. Don't complain if he's late for dinner.
Count this as minor compared with what he might have gone through that day.

7. Make him comfortable: Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes.
Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

8. Listen to him: You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.

9. Make the evening his: Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment; instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to be home and relax.

10. The goal: Try to make your home a place of peace and order where your husband can relax.

wow how time has change of being a housewife

Seriously I find nothing wrong with this!! What happened to wives today? I love love love my husband and want him to have a calm relaxing setting when he comes home. 45 mins or so before he gets here I rush around picking up the house....(not like I don't do it all day running behind Lils....) Is my house perfect? No, but I enjoy a clean home.
I then hurry upstairs and freshen my face and hair and clothes! I love looking pretty for my man!
Dinner is always ready when he gets home.....and I've got the baby's diaper changed so Daddy has a sweet smelling baby to hug!
The last thing I want for my sweetie to worry about is the house or kids....I want him to want to come home.....and he does!!!
Who wants to walk in the door to a mess of a wife and house?
I hear others complain that they have 2 kids + and it's hard. Yes, it is hard, but we have 4 kids and I still make time to put my husband's needs first.
If I could go back in time this is the decade I'd choose to live! Besides the clothes alone would be worth it!


Tonight's Menu?
Stuffed Chicken (basil, sunkissed tom, garlic and ricotta)
Roasted Asparagus
Mashed Potatoes
Dessert: Gingersnap Banana Pudding!


Comments

I was reading this thinking why does it say seriously? at the top because Im pretty sure that sounds just like you :)
Cora said…
If I could choose it would be this time period too. Nothing wrong with most of it! But things have really changed a lot!! What happened????

Please pay my blog a visit for a nice surprise!
Blessings to you!
Anonymous said…
I'm the same way. I have no problem with looking good, having a clean home, and a healthy meal on the table when my husband comes home. I think it's a nice gesture and it's probably why people back then didn't get divorced as often as they do now. Seriously.
♥ sarah said…
i love this! what great goals for wives. def something i could work on, especially the not complaining part! cute blog girl! xoxo
I was laughing while I read this but I absolutely love it too! I don't have kids yet but two dogs count as well as my self. I find myself doing these things all the time. Dinner tonight for me is tatertot casserole!
Southern Savvy said…
I've seen this list in multiple places online or in forwarded emails. But, I'm with you! I wish I was that put together! I'm working on it but not there yet! I didn't grow up with a very "domestic" mother so everything that I know about being a housewife was learned from trial and error - lots of error! I am going to have to blog about this topic soon. I saw Oprah today and one of her guests said that everyone wants to get married these days but no one wants to actually be a "wife" and that's one of the reasons the divorce rate is so high. Intersting stuff!
Brenda said…
Thanks for posting this. You are right, what happened to wives today? I think it's because in this generation women are taught to focus on education, being at the top in their career etc... My mom never taught me how to sew, cook or clean. It was all about career, making money. Well I'm a SAHM and I love it. But I find it hard to manage a home, kids, wife and mom roles. This is the toughest job I know and I try to do it with a smile.
Carey said…
As I was reading this, I was thinking to myself. Man, would some feminist have a hayday with this!
I agree though. I rush around like crazy picking up the house, cooking a meal and cleaning up the tot! Just like you said, I want my man to "want to come home!"
Very Cute blog!
Just Brandi said…
all good in theory.
but as a full time working mom, (who has made working out and running a top priority these days in an attempt to get into shape) my husband is lucky if I cook dinner 4 nights a week!
I have always said if I was a SAHM I'd be all over this list like white on rice, but unfortunately we can't afford that.
For now, he will have to settle for a semi-dirty house, a thrown together quick dinner, and a sweaty wife who just ran 3 miles because at this point, I'm worth that!

Love your blog!

Popular Posts