I Blame My Mom

I have no choice but to blame you....but I doooo oh so love it at the same time!

You see my mom instilled in me and my brother to be early! I'm talking really early for things. The theory is..maybe they take you early....maybe you get lost and when you find it you're on time. And it is true...some of those things happened, but I have this panic attack come over me if I'm on time. I even show up early to the movies...like 45 mins early. It drives people crazy! I like just sitting there in the dark theatre just visiting w/ur friend/or hubby waiting for the flick to start.

My brother and I would meet for lunch sometimes during the week and both show up early....and if the other one is there 1st and then one of us is a close 2nd we say "You're late" even if they are early! Sick I know.

I think it's starting to rub off on my children! I find them wanting to leave for things 30 mins b4 time etc....I'm proud, but then again I'm not!

So this morning I wake up and hubby is still in bed...he didn't set his alarm (my alarm are the kids who nudge me awake at 6:55 to come downstairs and get their breakfast started) Hubs is usually out the door at 6:20...so I figured he was tired and I'd wake him in a bit. I rush downstairs get the kids fed...them out the door by 7:30 and then I rush upstairs to shower. You see being a mommy to 4 I grab my shower 1st thing in the morning or my whole day is shot! I'm a schedule freak too...I need to be in the shower and dressed b4 heading out the door to take oldest child to middle school. Well I notice hubby still in bed and gently shake him and tell him I'm gonna jump in the shower and he can get in a minute! Well he flies out of bed shouting he's late he's late.

Me: (thoughts in head) Ok settle down...you won't be late...he can shower and you can jump in after him...you'll just have to rush a bit...all is well)

Hubs (takes his sweet time getting undressed)

Me: "here honey let me start the shower for you so it will be nice and warm...that way I can jump in after you..." (hopefully hinting to him I'm in a hurry...as usual)

Hubs (still pittle paddling)

Me: (I can feel my teeth wanting to grind....tell myself not to yell at him to hurry...b/c he'll go slower knowing I'm freaking out...stare at clock...settle it's only been 3 mins)

Hubs (gets in shower...starts washing really slowly)

Me: (omg doesn't he know he's going slow...should I bathe him myself? what is he doing....smile ...smile....it's all good...it's only been 6 mins....)

Hubs (still washing)

Me: (ok I really need to say something...we are hitting the 10 min mark. Maybe it's a test....I mean surely he sees me standing here naked trying to wait patiently.....ok now I have only 20 mins to shower and get ready and get the baby changed b4 heading out the door....I can do it I can do it. Don't say anything don't say anything.....oh nooooo)

"Honey....you gonna hurry there?" (great now you did it)

Hubs: (starts drying off...slowly....)

Me: (he must be enjoying this) Finally get in the shower and pile hair on head for a non hair wash day.....get out and downstairs w/just w/1 min to spare! Dang I'm good!

But still do you see how ridiculous this all is? I mean why on earth do I panic like that? Time is not my friend! It's a blessing and a curse I tell ya!

Comments

Vanessa said…
Sounds like what happens on Sunday mornings here when we're all getting ready for church -- it's strange how getting ready with him there (able to 'help') makes things take LONGER! :-)

I've enjoyed reading your blog, and I'm following you right back!
Mandi Miller said…
I can panic too! Maybe it's a girl thing? Although if I am the one lollygagging around then my husband can get panicky too! I really like your blog! I'm originally from Texas (Houston area)and LOVE the Aggies! I could not have been more delighted to see the Longhorns lose the championship!! Gig'Em!!
I feel your pain!! My Mama was (and is) always late for everything, so I always try to be early because I know how annoying it can be when others are late. And I think it gets worse with kids because we're trying to get multiple people ready. Guess it's a curse we have to live with! :)
Alissa said…
I get like that too sometimes. I think it drives my husband equally crazy. Better early than late though right?
This post is so funny because it reminds me so much of myself! My mom drilled it into my head at a young age to always be early and now, well, I can't stand to NOT be early! Haha : )
Amber said…
this was hilarious! i'm wondering if he was really moving slowly or just to slow for you ;)
teresa-bug said…
I am usually late which drives me crazy!! (obviously not enough to do something about it though) I need some of what you have!
Insanitykim said…
See, I just don't go anywhere anymore because I can buy/do anything using the Internet. Problem solved!

Thanks for stopping by and joining my insanity! See ya around bloggyworld!
This is so funny and sounds like our house! I put a little surprise for you on my blog.. check it out :)
Juliana said…
Panic and I go hand in hand. I show up super early to everything my husband is late to everything. My dad always said patience is a virtue..that is one thing that I just simply cannot grasp. This blogged cracked me up, but I felt for you at the same time
This is me totally! I feel for you! I left you something on my blog!
Kelly L said…
This so so funny. I am exactly the same way - drives my kids nuts. We'll get to the movies an hour before it is suppose to begin - sit in the theater without anyone else in it... Of course I tell the girls I do this on purpose so that we can spend "quality" time together....

love to you.
Kelly
Cora said…
My husband is always early...for everything...he even gets to work 45 minutes before time to be there! Not me no way.....
I'm not typically late...just right on time! :)
Anna @ IHOD said…
Laura,
Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy to "meet" you. I love that your an all natural momma who breastfeeds and uses cloth diapers! so fantastic. Will be following you too.
All the best,
Anna
Padgett Hoke said…
Thank you for stopping by my little site, I am so glad you enjoyed the book wreath! I love this post - I totally relate, everyone should have the same mentality about being early... I hate hate hate when I get to a meeting or function and they start 15 minutes late 'so stragglers don't miss something'. start on time and if their late - too bad! Argh, it makes me so mad! Anyway - so glad to have your site to check!

Enjoy your Sunday!
Liz Mays said…
I wish we could control our panic but it's true! Certain things just get the heart pounding and you get kinda crazy!
You are so my hubs and I can't seem to get anywhere on time. It's only gotten worse since I became a mama. Ah ha
Thanks for stopping by my blog, I love a fellow Olay user! :)
Lipstick said…
Thank you so very much for following my blog!! I am so happy to find yours!

I love this post...I am totally inspired. You will laugh, but being early actually makes me nervous. I don't know why. Something about having extra unfilled or unaccounted for time drives me crazy. This, of course, is not a good thing. I am completely inspired to do better!
noelle said…
mmmmm...next time maybe hop in the shower with him! oh, wait, that would probaby make you even later! hahahaha!

Popular Posts