Eau de Flank....

Last night we made had Flank Steak and Blue Cheese Sandwiches....an even better addition to this recipe...hubby and I added jalapenos (seeds n all...we like it hot in the South) to the bell pepper/onion mixture! Oh my it was amazing!!!!!!


I'm a Southern Living Cookbook/Magazine freak and found this one...it was a huge hit! EXCEPT FOR THE SMELL leftover in the house this morning.

With the weather being so cold outside we decided to grill it inside! I can still smell it...it's everywhere...my hair...(I washed it this morning) sheets, blankets, couches, rug, walls, rooms, ...just name something and I can smell flank steak! My kids thought I was crazy this morning....I was running around sniffing their shirts and hair. I was afraid they would smell like burnt meat and ppl would wonder what was up w/their mother letting them off to school like that.

I have been cleaning up a storm trying to get the 'clean smell of Fabreze' in the house. Usually Wednesdays are my big cleaning day (in laws come over every wed for dinner), but I can't stand it.
I've wiped all counters down...cleaned the stove....dusted the furniture...mopped the floors....sprayed the air...cleaned the windows...lit all 4 of my Scentsy warmers..... I even baked Banana Banana Texas sized muffins! I would open all the windows and doors, but it's 33' degrees outside and I don't want to freeze Lils!

I'm hoping the smell of Eau de Flank turns the hubs on when he gets home...(dabs more smell behind my ears)

For those wanting a terrific "Healthier Version" of Banana Bread ...here it is...
Ingredients

Vegetable shortening, for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3)

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together sugar, applesauce, oil, and vanilla extract. Whisk in eggs until combined. Using a large spoon, stir in banana. Gradually stir in flour mixture until just combined. Evenly pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean, 50 minutes to 1 ho

ur. Transfer bread in pan to a wire rack and let cool 5 minutes. Run a knife around edges of bread to loosen from pan. Invert onto rack and turn bread topside up. Let stand until cooled completely.

Nutrition facts per serving: 200 calories, 4g total fat, .5g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 38g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 21mg calcium, 1g fiber



Comments

Hey! Just found your blog and realized we are a lot alike. Our names are the same, you have 4 kids...I want 4 kids. We both love southern living and I can't stand the house (or me) smelling like last nights dinner!

Consider me a new follower!
Those sammies sound yummy! And since I am trying to count calories I am going to try these muffins, thanks for the recipe!
Heightened sense of smell huh? Yum those do look good though!
Cora said…
I hate food smells when they linger in the house...its like they stick to everything. Thats why I also hate buring wood in our fireplace..afterwards the cold ashes are awful!
I know the food was good and the muffins look grand!
Anna Star said…
Hmmm...sounds like you could have used a "wife" to help you get that smell out of your house! LOL!
Amber said…
I left you a little something on my blog. :)
Kate said…
Mmm, reading your blog is making me hungry! Wish I had the ingredients in my house to whip up a loaf of that banana bread as it sounds lush!

Kate x
http://search-for-the-perfect10.blogspot.com
tara said…
oh my! i don't know which recipe to buy the ingredients for first! :) yum-O thanks!

Popular Posts