Scaring Our Babies?




This morning when Little Girl woke up she usually just toddles down to the kitchen w/me and the big kids or finds me in the bathroom getting dressed for the day. Yes I said walks out...you see she has been sleeping in our big bed since she turned 12 months. She never liked the crib and the minute I decided to be a co-sleeper was the best day of our lives.
I am NOT a fan of having kids in the bed...in fact I've always thought it was a bad idea...I mean this is mine and hubs haven! This is the place we can snuggle and talk about our dreams/fears/day etc. Enter a child and boom all that changes. BUT LILY IS NO NORMAL CHILD.

From day 1 she didn't require much sleep. She totally went against all my 'routines and schedules' that I always put into play with the other children. Bed time by 7:30 or 8 depending on your little age. They would sleep through the night for at least 10-12 hrs. Nap like a dream too! NOT LILY....she doesn't want any of that. I fought for months to make her conform and I finally gave up. I'm glad I did! Life has been lovely.

I thought maybe just maybe she would sleep better w/us. When she turned 1 I gave it a try. WOWZA she slept all night. Naptime...she slept 3 hrs. (now it's 1.5-2) I called it the magic bed! It was amazing. Our lives changed. I lost our haven, but I felt our sanity came first and she did need rest.

Baby Girl usually sleeps until after 7 depending on how quiet I am...this morning she woke up at early and really needed some holding...
I rocked her in the rocking chair nursing her a bit and sang some lullabies.


THAT'S WHEN IT HIT ME

Have you seriously truly listened to the words of some of those songs?
Humpty Dumpty
Rock a Bye Baby
Ring Around the Rosie

or the story of Little Red Riding Hood?

I'm rocking her and singing Rock a Bye and I realize my words and wonder.....is Lily going to look up at me in terror? I mean she is starting to really understand our words and can do small commands! I had to giggle and then just hum the rest. I mean I don't want to scare the poor dear into never sleeping again!




Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

Genesis said…
interesting thoughts on the nursery rhymes. i never really considered it but you're right, why would we put a baby in a tree and let the wind knock them down? lol. i guess back then that was the norm?
B F said…
very true! never thought of it! and my little girl is the same way. she has her own mind when it comes to sleeping... and basically everything else!! that's why we love them right?!
Jocelyn said…
Most of Grimms fairy tales are the same way...my hubby and I totally crack up when we start reading one to the kids...I mean really? Rumplestilzkin ripped himself in half?? Who writes these kind of things for kids?
Anonymous said…
hahaha I have sat and thought about nursery rhymes before. It makes you sit and wonder what the authors were really thinking!!
I too was not a fan of having kids in my bed. When Emma was a baby I was terrified of rolling on her, or her daddy rolling on her...so she slept in the bassinet right next to the bed. When she got a little older she would crawl in bed with me. She is almost 7 and I still ask her if she wants to sleep with mommy (I like having her close). The only problem now is she moves ALOT in her sleep and I wake up with bruises LOL
Tiffany said…
I have totally thought the same.exact.thing! So funny!
Neely said…
Nursery Rhymes are disturbing as is the Care Bears movie Chad and I watched last night...sooooo not for children
carissa said…
"rock a bye baby" has always been disturbing to me. i refuse to sing it... i don't want my babies having nightmares of falling out of treetops.
Kelly Marie said…
I agree the words are definitely a little bit disturbing when listened to and focused on. Have a great day!!
Unknown said…
I have thought about that before. Sass is 8 & still wants to sleep in our bed!
Lori said…
That is too funny! I am not good at words of nursery rhymes, so Brooke will be raised with her mama making up all of the words :p

And I agree 100% with you about co-sleeping. I said NO WAYS until one night I brought her into bed and she slept until 7am. Life is great. Funny how these kids know just what they need!
Stef said…
Yes, nothing like trying to get your baby to sleep with a song that tells them they may just fall out of a tree if the wind blows. Who made those songs up was psycho...and what does it make us that we sing them to our kids...hmmmm.
The Kings said…
I have never liked the words to "Rock a bye" I changed the words and now it is a much happier song when I sing it to the twins!
Ring around the Rosy is the creepiest of all!
Becky Campbell said…
Although never confirmed, this seemingly harmless nursery rhyme is believed by many people to refer to the Black Plague in Europe during the Middle Ages. It seems quite strange, and even a little scary for 5 year old kids to be singing to this song.

Here's a breakdown of the song:

Ring Around the Rosey(victims of the plague would usually have a red, swollen ring around their eyes)

A pocket full of posies(people would carry flowers in their pockets to cover the lingering smell of death, and some people even thought they would ward off the disease)

Ashes, Ashes(this refers to the fact that they would take dead bodies and people suffering from the disease, throw them in pits, and burn their bodies to slow down the spread of the disease)

We all fall down(basically this means death)

So really this is very creapy!!
Holly Lefevre said…
You totally hit the nail on the head...my little one tells me the stories are scary...never thought about it...they just seemed normal because I knew them! My little one come sin in the middle of the night...sleeps so well. My son...same thing. I love the snuggle....but was and am conflicted.
Free2bMommy said…
Ha! I feel the same way!! Ring around the rosies is pretty creepy, and rock a bye baby is the most sinister of all!!!

Dee
Morningtower said…
That's why I always sang old Rock Ballads to my kids, like Hotel California, and Beth. LOL And, fwiw, one of the funniest bumper stickers I ever saw said "Humpty Dumpty was pushed"!!

Popular Posts