Baking Bread 101...My Domestic Side


I've been feeling the need to throw on an apron and get down to business! ! I guess I wanted to do it the old fashion way...no stinkin bread machine here. Besides the fact that hubs keeps hinting how much he would ♥ to have some fresh sourdough bread made. So that is when I started out looking for a 'starter' for it. Mine is on day 3 and in the garbage. It said it was supposed to smell sour...or beer like. Well mine smelled like vomit or really really really bad stinky cheese. Not only that ...it bubbled over the top of the jar...ran down the side and all over my counter. I nearly gagged! The directions were Kindergarten easy ...so obviously I suck! Seriously...it was 1 cup flour...1 cup warm water. Let it sit...24 hrs later..pour off half...add back 1/2 cup water...1/2 cup flour and do this until it's ready (3-5 days) ummmmm ????

So I will share my new passion of making bread w/those who have always wanted to try but don't.

I've made about 5 loaves this week and this is by far my favorite recipe. Hubs went on and on...saying "WOW if you make this everyday we won't ever buy store bought again"

Here's what you'll need: 7 ingredients and most you already have on hand!!!

Active yeast 2 1/4 tsp
1 1/4 cup warm water (temp of 80-90')
1 tbs sugar 1 tbs oil (I use canola for bread olive oil for pizza)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup bread flour
1 tbs salt

The key here is not killing your yeast...yes I have done this before...esp b/c I didn't have a thermometer...(grabbed the one for my car)...80-90' isn't as warm as you think...it's pretty cool feeling. I had my water too hot the first time I made dough and the yeast didn't 'proof'.....lesson learned!

In a lg bowl put ur sugar/oil/water in...then sprinkle your yeast on top...stir w/a fork and wait for it to 'proof or blossom'. Depending on ur house temp it could be anywhere from 5-15mins. Look for lots of foam!


Then add your dry ingredients (flours and salt) to the bowl and give it a quick stir!

Turn this out on a kneading surface. I use a cutting board!

Flour your surface and knead for ohhh anywhere from 6-10 mins....again depending on how your kneading tech is and the temp of house. It always takes me 10 mins






Tip
When you knead bread by hand, choose a surface that allows you some leverage; you’ll be using your arms and your full-body strength to achieve the final texture. Put some flour on the surface and keep some more nearby‚ as you may need a light dusting while you’re working.


I put my board on my kitchen table. I found my counter tops are too high for kneading and I was standing on my tippy toes to get a good press. You'll know it's done w/it's elastic and you can poke your finger in it and it doesn't spring back.

I then use the same bowl I mixed it in for the bread to rise. I put a little oil in the bowl...and use my hands to grease all sides...then I roll the dough in the bowl to coat all sides..cover loosely w/plastic wrap or a towel and let it sit for about 1 - 1 .5 hrs or until it doubles in size. (a good non drafty place...in a turned off oven)


Put the dough back on your floured surface and punch down a few times...knead a few more times...roll dough in a rectangle and put it in a greased 9"loaf pan.
Then cover w/a towel and again put it in a non drafty spot for about 30 mins of rising time

I like to then rub w/butter on the top before baking!
Bake at 350' for anywhere from 40-50 mins. When you thump the bottom it should sound hollow! That's it...simple and ohhhhh so good!

Tonight on the menu is Chicken Creole!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Comments

C'est La Vie said…
this post made me miss my mommy...i loved coming home from school and smelling the warm homemade bread as i walked in the door. or homemade cookies! yum

i've never made bread though...i should give it a try...

xoxo
sara
Becca said…
Homemade bread is the absolute BEST... you got me craving some now!!
New Mommy!!! said…
LOVE YOUR NEW LOOK!!

Home baked bread! You truly are an amazing wife/mother!!

You go girl!
Amanda C. said…
YUM! i love fresh bread!!!
I am so impressed... I could never make bread... I would be to scared to try. My mom has made it before...and it does taste yummy.
Anonymous said…
Hehe I use a bread machine to make the dough then bake it in the oven. Works like a charm and that bread is gone with in a couple hours at best!
Vanessa said…
You are a domestic goddess!
Anonymous said…
Yum. I've been baking my own whole wheat bread for about a year now, and I LOVE it.

Popular Posts