Ramblings from Mother Of the Year Herself

Worst Mother Award...yet again.

Yesterday was a great day...we actually had a bit of a cool front move in and we needed our jeans and long sleeves. Over cast and windy w/some rain....my kind of day seriously. I love having all the windows open and the house has natural light w/o the heat. Hubs watched littlest demon while she napped and I headed to the flicks w/my 3 big kids for a Mother's Day treat! We saw Iron Man II! The kids had a blast and so did I!!!
So funny thing ...I told all the kids it would be hot (I mean heck fire it has been all week) and they wore shorts...it was freezing.
Well today I told the kids it would still be cold so they wore pants and long sleeves to school. Guess what? It's hot again today! I just can't win for good Mommy award!

What's On the Menu for The Week

Wait until I post the dessert for Wednesdays Dinner w/the Inlaws!

If Candice Olson Can Do It I Can Too

I have gotten a few emails about our hardwood floors....How do I like them...How easy to care for etc...
well....they aren't hardwood....nor are they laminate....they are none other than good ol vinyl! Yep, you read it right. When we were building this house we looked into the same hardwoods we had in the old one...problem is this house was going to have more living down...so more floor space down...way too $$$$ for our taste to do hardwoods. I was watching an episode of Divine Design later that week and the incredible Candice did fake hardwood. Come to find out it was Armstrong's Vinyl collection. I thought she was crazy until I saw the final product! I freaked and knew we should go for it. When we picked it out the design girl told me no.

Design Airhead "You can't do that"

Me "Why not?"

DA "because it's vinyl and it's not a bathroom or kitchen"

Me "what's your point? it looks like hardwood no? that's what I want"

DA "then you will have to put a 50% deposit down b/c if you back out of the house then we will have a hard time selling the vinyl"

me "are you kidding? it's going to look amazing.....take my 50% but I've made my choice"

DA "You're going to change your mind"

The second we saw it down we knew we had a winner. I wanted to call DA and make her eat her words. Real wood can wait until the kids are older...for now...all I have to do is mop and go! Greatest choice ever and very within our budget! I like seeing ppl's faces when they say they like our hardwoods when they come in and their faces when we tell them it's plastic! haha

Here is a picture of when we were building...floors are dusty from all the construction....

Now today....(yes I still have the bunny out...I like him greeting guests...He'll come down soon)


So for those on a budget and want more options.....don't be scared to try good ol vinyl! We love it...and for the next many years we can enjoy hardwood w/o the price tag

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

Genesis said…
wow, i cant believe its not butter oops i mean hardwood ;) it looks awesome...maybe you should also do posts about designing on a dime :)

oh and can I come over dinner? your menu looks better than mine which is all just ?????'s.
Aly said…
Yum!! I can't wait for you to make me dinner when I am visiting :)
Anonymous said…
Genesis: LOL! Love the flooring, that looks great!
Angie said…
I know, isn't this weather crazy?!?! Ooohhh...loving those floors!
Theta Mom said…
Looks amazing! Love it!
Kelly Marie said…
What a great idea!! Hahah I love the bunny; he totally just made my day!!
Ashley said…
I have been wanting hardwards, but didnt want to put out the $$$ since we JUST started having kids.
THANKS so much for posting this! :) I will show my hubs so he wont think I'm crazy! HA!
Liz Mays said…
I had never heard of it until just now! It looks fabulous and I'm with you on the easy peasy nature of it!
I would be a happy girl if the weather would make up its mind and be a bit more predictable. Weather...predictable...right?!

Your floors do look gorgeous!! I have another meaning for the acronym "DA"...wink wink! ;)
Jen said…
Hi! Thanks for commenting on my blog! So gald to meet you.
Your floors look great...Who'd have thought?
I also love your post about your mother...and about many things you do now that she did then. It was so much fun to read!
I'll be following so I can come back often. Have a great week.
:) Jen
Stef said…
That looks so nice! My mom and sister have the same thing and it looks as good as the real thing...at least I think so. Plus a heck of lot cheaper.
Tiffany said…
a) I want you to invite me over for dinner b) I am sold on vinyl. I think its fair to say the post was a success. =)
It looks amazing! Good for you for sticking to your guns!
LOVE the floors Laura!!! I can not believe that is vinyl, we will definitely check that out!!!
So glad you had a great weekend! I did as well.
About the anonymous, I can't believe how ignorant some people can be, I mean if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. It hard for me to understand this whole anonymous commentor?? I need to learn to get over it, she commented again where you commented, she must know you? Oh well, live and learn, I will have to learn to ignore it though!! Have a blessed evening!
Stephanie said…
We have the same thing in our kitchen and I'm not ashamed to say I love it! It gives me peace of mind to know that what we're scuffing our shoes on, the dog's nails are scratching, and dragging chairs across is nice and cheap! Not to mention it's crazy durable!
Vanessa said…
Vinyl?? Really?? IMPRESSIVE!! Looks very nice! And I think I should go on two-day fast because I may gain weight just reading your Wednesday dessert!!
jen said…
Ok. I tried to convince Brad that we didn't need real hardwood but I lost the battle. Three years in the house and it's ruined in places from water damage that seeped underneath when we didn't know.
Not worth it, and I wouldn't do it again.
And if you have Candice's seal of approval, you definitely have mine. She ROCKS! And David Bromstad too, just sayin'.
\
I agree about the weather, wasn't it lovely! I loved it! There is nothing like spending the day in a sweatshirt and jeans!

Wow, your floor looks great! And I can't believe it is vinyl!
erin said…
1. can i come over for dinner this week? looks wayyyy better than our menu!
2. those floors look gorgeous! i love the color!
I love the chalkboard where you put whats for dinner! So cute! Such yummy food all week, wish I could join! The vinyl hardwood looks so good! I would've never had known!
LeAnna said…
It looks awesome!

Popular Posts