The Ways of the South *and Menu for the week*



The Ways of The South

I wish I knew who wrote this to give him credit...this was spoken like a true genius...."Kindly do not give me any grief about the Confederate flag. We cannot erase history or make it more palatable to some by banning symbols. I believe the saying is, "Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it." For me, as for most Southerners, the flag has no connotations of slavery. It is rather a symbol of the Grand Lost Cause, the death of chivalry and honor in wartime, and an excruciatingly tragic moment in our history. Most Southerners did not own slaves, or even condone the practice. Rather, the issue over which we seceded was that nodamnyankee was going to tell us what to do. The war had far more to do with the yankee -controlled Congress' imposing tariffs to protect the north's manufactured goods, tariffs that did not benefit, indeed penalized, the agricultural South."

As a TRUE Southern Girl you should know the real reason of the Civil War and not the Lies the North tells the nation ...or school books

IT WAS NOT BECAUSE OF SLAVERY AND LINCOLN WAS A LIAR, RACIST, AND TYRANT.

If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about...it's ok...I didn't either until I became an adult and got hints of stuff about the South...realizing that the history books you read in school growing up were false. I guess it's the North's way of covering their wrong. But don't ask a Yank b/c they think us "Suthern" people are angry for losing the war.

Ok hit your google search if you'd like to read more of what I'm talking about...

Point being...Lincoln NOT a wonderful man as most lift him to believe.



Enter beginning of my story!

I married a die hard true Southern Loving Boy! He loves the true history of the South and anything and everything "Suthern". (no I didn't misspell that word)

I love this about him...he bleeds good ol' Southern charm! (another reason I married him)

He can't stand Lincoln or anything praising the man.

One day we went to eat in this small town restaurant. It's located in an old town square on a back roadnear our home. The food was great ...atmosphere was totally charming....felt like you were in an old 1800's kitchen w/the Ingalls! Anyways...we spot a decoration of a newspaper clipping on the wall . It was an old clipping from during the Civil War praising the one and only Lincoln. I thought hubs was gonna blow a fuse. He couldn't believe this would be on the wall...why this person had this article up for all to see. After our meal I could see he was gonna say something to the owner....sure enough I was right and I headed to the car. HAHA I don't mind that he does this...I just prefer not to be around. Most ppl don't have a clue about the South and my hub is the greatest of all Historians! He is brilliant beyond all measure and loves to share history stories with ppl. I told him he should have followed his mom's footsteps to become a History teacher instead of an engineer! (half kidding here)

So basically this owner was from Philly (haha) and didn't realize anything his wrong. Hubs was very pleasant about it to him (yes he has class) and then after he was in the car he mentioned that we would never eat there ever again. Simple as that.

Fast Forward 2 years later.....
I get a flier in the mail yesterday w/a down home cooking restaurant that just opened up and website. I logged on and it totally looked like the places we liked...The name seemed familiar but didn't register besides we had never been to this area of town this place was in. I told hubs that this was the place I picked for our 1 meal out for the weekend. Loaded the kids up and headed to the old country Main street to find this place. When we pulled up I realized my mistake. OHHH NO...THIS IS THE PLACE from years back ....I kept my mouth shut...I mean I was starving and this was a new location...possibly new owner. I was right...we walked in and it couldn't have been more backyard country. Totally charming. They had the most incredible antiques...old Dr Pepper machines....old back in the day wall telephones....sewing machines...cameras..It was neat to walk around and see some history of items! Food was good...kids had a great time and the owner gave us a free piece of pie! The pie was to die for...(Think I'm gonna make a Coconut Cream Pie this week now)

So my guilt was killing me and as we were driving away I spilled the beans to hubs. He had a chuckle that I was sweating bullets the whole time...and said it was fine...Different Owner...Different Location. He liked the Establishment! (grins) Gosh...see it just goes to show you...get it off your chest early! I was just so hungry I didn't want to leave! Nuthin like a little Fried Green Tomatoes to start your meal off right!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

Ashley said…
Oooo, your menu sounds delicious! Recipes please. :)
Anonymous said…
The Civil War is something that always gets my blood pumping!! What ALWAYS gets me in the end of the Gettysburg Address where Lincoln says a government for the people, by the people and of the people. Uh HELLOOOOO that's what the South wanted, was the right for the STATES to govern themselves and not the BIG NATIONAL government!! the War was NOT FOUGHT OVER SLAVERY it was over state's rights. If the Big Government ever gets bad enough that Texas secedes from the Union it's another reason to move there. I love our country but I think it's going haywire real quick. The government in Washington DC has NO RIGHT to micro manage the states! There ARE 50 individual states, who have individual situations and individual rules, that make UP one nation! ok ok I better quit LOL!!
Tiffany said…
Okay, I need the recipe for Monday & Friday. Can you make that happen? BC I am drooling at my desk. ::DROOL::
Kelly Marie said…
I love anything feta so I really hope you post the recipe for tonight :) haha! Glad you had good food and a better experience!!
Anonymous said…
Hey now, I'm a Yankee and was schooled in our history! We have a confederate flag hanging on the inside door of my parent's shed, it has been in our family for years and years and years! My dad always eschewed the importance of knowing the difference for what people are angry about and what they THINK they're angry about!
Amy Lynn said…
I got in many arguments in high school about the meaning of the Confederate flag. I had done a research paper on it, and nobody else who ever picked a fight with me over it had. I just told them to look it up and get their facts before they open their mouth again.. It's very frustrating! Good for your husband for sticking to his guns and letting people know the truth!
MaMaWilson said…
Frito Pie...i'm intrigued! :)
Ummm...I'll be at your house on Friday. What time is dinner? :)

Is that a recipe you found online?
Love your yummy southern recipe's, They sound delicious.
Heather said…
THe recipes sound yum!! Can I come for dinner on Friday please!? :)
Liz Mays said…
I'm glad the restaurant visit turned out so well!

There's nothing on your menu for Tuesday. You're not eating??? ;)
Mariel Collins said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
carissa said…
although i have a degree in politics and studied the ins and outs of lincoln, i prefer not to get in the north/south debate! i guess it's because i'm from california!!! i love your chalkbord menu. i want one for my kitchen! your menu's always sound superb!
Danielle said…
Mmmm... can I come to dinner Friday?!
Stef said…
Wow! I had no idea. I should do some more research. My hubs likes to read about the Civil War. I will have to ask him about it.
And I am proud of your sneakiness! Sounds like a fun place to be.
Erin said…
I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between. Everyone who fought had their own motivations, I'm sure. I would like to read more about this new side of Lincoln you're talking about. Do you or your husband have a link to something I should check out?

Your menu sounds delish!!
Morningtower said…
It is a family thing! I have set a lot of folks straight about the Civil War and the "Great Emancipator" (NOT!!) You'd be hard-pressed to find someone more racist than Lincoln, but they sure don't teach *that* in history classes!!

Anyway, tell your sweet hubby I'm proud to be his cousin!!! And proud of his choice in a wife, too!! ;)

Popular Posts