You Know You're Old When..


your kids ask you if there were phones when you were a little girl. No joke....I assume I probably asked my parents some really weird questions too.

The other day oldest and I were heading to IKEA and were having a chat. I think I started talking about how I love the iphone's FaceTime feature. It's been so much fun to have the grandparents visit with the little kids. Which started the conversation about the cartoon the Jetsons. I asked if he had seen any of those cartoons (they are on netflix instant) and he said yes. I told him how when I was a little girl I loved the idea of a video phone....and here 30 years later we actually have that.

The conversation turned to flying cars...and then came around to rotary phones. (not sure how)

son: "did you have one of those phones with the wheel"

me: "yep...they are called Rotary phones"

son: "how did they work?"

me: "well it's a wheel and each number has a hole...you put your finger in the hole and swing it clockwise up to the top and let go.....mommy used to like the t-t-t-t-t sound the dial would make after you let go."

son: "I don't get it...how did it work?"

me: (again I try to explain...insert a lot of hand gestures and t-t-t-t sounds...I'm doing a poor example obviously)

I like reminiscing about days long gone. I had a really happy childhood....summer days were filled with swimming with your friends and homemade ice cream on the back porch. I loved the anticipation of the first day of school and having a new dress to wear...Things seemed simpler back then...no crazy computers and electronics to get in the way with our little imaginations.



Comments

Caroline said…
Don't try to explain the party line phones.
Lori said…
hahahaha :) this made me laugh a little, though i do agree life was much easier pre-technology boom.
Things sure were simpler...I guess every generation has this same feeling though.

I loved my Mamaw's rotary phone (and the super long cord she had attached to it so we could drag it to any room in the house. :)
Amber said…
I love your explanation of the rotary, hahah!
Jessi said…
Right? It's so crazy to me that my 3 year old knows what an iphone is and Netflix. Just crazy! Guess we really are "in the future" haha. I was 16 when I had my first cell phone and it was before texting was even really a real thing!
Neely said…
The kids I babysit think its weird I didnt have an ipod when I was 10.

Popular Posts