Birthday Surprises....


It's my Father in Law's birthday today. Which means? I get to bake yummy treats. (as if I don't always make them anyways...but a reason makes it more fun)

He says he hates sweets....he totally doesn't ...he just says that. I always have a plate of something sweet when they walk in the door while I'm fixing dinner to tide him over. I'll see him sneak over grab a few and sneak off. When he leaves I will have a baggie of the sweets for him to take home. Have I mentioned I love my inlaws??

So instead of Wednesday night dinner...they are coming tonight for his birthday. I asked what meal he would like and out all my meals he chose my Potato Soup. (It is pretty rocking)....and for a special snack (MIL is bringing the cake) I made ......


Chocolate Walnut Fudge Bars

  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 27 store-bought chocolate wafer cookies (6 ounces)
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • Table salt
  • 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup toasted and finely chopped walnuts

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray, and line with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on long sides. Spray parchment.

  2. Pulse wafers in a food processor until finely ground, and transfer to a bowl. Add sugar and a pinch of table salt. Melt 6 tablespoons butter, and stir into crumbs. Press into bottom of dish. Bake for 10 minutes.

  3. Heat chocolate, condensed milk, whole milk, remaining 4 tablespoons butter, and a pinch of table salt in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring, until melted. Stir in vanilla.

  4. Pour chocolate mixture over baked cookie layer, smoothing top with an offset spatula.

  5. Sprinkle walnuts and coarse salt over top, pressing slightly to adhere. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.

  6. Remove fudge from dish using parchment to lift, and transfer to a cutting board; remove parchment. Trim edges of fudge with a sharp knife, and cut crosswise into six 2-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 3 equal bars, then cut each bar in half on the diagonal to form 36 triangles.

This came from the Martha Stewart Living June magazine...again...whomever subscribed to it for me...many thanks. In June I got 3 issues. April, May, and June's. This month I got July and August...needless to say I'm behind trying to catch up on all the recipes. I'm in ♥

I sampled a corner of this
fudgy decadence this morning...(had to make sure it was ok to serve) and ohhhh my drop to my knees goodness...they were so .....dreamy

**Potato Soup Recipe: I had posted one a handful of months back....this one is a million times better (recipe to follow tomorrow)

Comments

dottie said…
Oh yum. I shall write that down!
Amber said…
YUM! You're such a good daughter in law :)
Its not even 9AM yet and I want some of those fudge bars!
Dana said…
Oh why why why did you post this???!!! LOL!! That looks absolutely wonderful!! Must make this!
Lori said…
can you please stop showing delicious treats that make me want to gain weight?! just kidding :) that looks amazing!
Stephanie said…
Oh this looks delish!

Popular Posts