Monkey Business....Sock Monkey's Gone Wild


I mentioned a few days ago that a friend asked me to make some Sock Monkey Cookies for her son's 1st Birthday Party. (Adorable theme)

I said sure.....then she told me 4 dozen. (insert silence...after all I have 5 kids and these take a few days)...but you know how I love to bake. Bring it on....Little did I realize that I am no artist and it was not like I imagined in my head. I was to the point of just giving them to her for free instead of charging her....

I ended up making 64 sock monkey cookies though.....I just knew I'd mess up a few when decorating. (glad I did)

The outlining was probably the hardest part for me...I don't have a steady hand and the black isn't forgiving....by monkey #50 I got the hang of it...yep #50.

I know practice makes perfect in decorating...but hello...5 kids = not a lot of time to play around baking and messing up the kitchen.

I thought I'd pass on a fun trick though for decorating with sprinkles and having the glitter...or sugar dust just where you want it...

First...when making icing....most recipes call for Meringue Powder...I bought the Wilton brand and read other "pro cookie decorators" talk about how horrible the Wilton brand is....(I thought it tasted pretty good) they mentioned other brands....one was the Ateco brand....

LET ME JUST SAY THEY ARE NOT THE SAME...THE ATECO BRAND SMELLS AMAZING RIGHT OUT OF THE CAN.

The prices are comparable...so you're not saving money by using the Wilton brand

Make a solution of 1 tsp of powder and a couple of tsps of water...stir until lumps are gone.

Using a sm child's paint brush...brush the liquid just where you want the sprinkles

Next...take your sprinkles and sprinkle away. I used a coffee filter to catch the excess to pour back in and use again...

It's ok to cover the whole surface

Shake off

Viola. Ain't they cute....


**side note: anyone try the Beaba Baby Food Maker? We are starting Reid at 6m on baby food in a few weeks and would love to know everyone's thoughts on making your own and what you use...

Comments

Neely said…
Laura, you amaze me!
jen said…
I hope you were paid handsomely for this. Never in life could I do that. I'm impressed, girl!
Unknown said…
Oh these are so cute! I would be wanting to eat them all up myself lol!

shel xx
Kerbi said…
Laura, those are incredible!!
Joanne said…
I made all of Elise's food myself... and saved big time $$$ doing it. I didn't get anything fancy, just used an immersion blender, and a regular blender. With Mattias, I don't make all his food, but what I do make I use our vitamix (love, love, love it). But the immersion blender works perfectly. Don't buy into the hype that you need something special to make baby food, just use what you already have!
Kristen said…
They turned out AWESOME!!
SEL said…
The cookies look amazing! You did a fantastic job!

As for making the food, we just used our regular mixer! We tried a baby mixer (from Babies R Us) that was MADE to puree/chop up the food, and it was horrible. Our regular mixer though works wonders. :)
Jessi said…
Id like to know where the ones are you "messed up" on because they look amazing! You are so creative!
Anna said…
Girl, I would pay you for them they are adorable!!
texas girl said…
we have that food maker and love it althought next baby I will get the pasta cooker to it doesnt come with!
mountain mama said…
adorable, great job!
Erin said…
I'll just say SUPER MOM!!! Those are SO cute :)

Baby food - I made all P's baby food and LOVED doing that. We just used our kitchen aid food processor, steamed, baked and mashed foods.

I used measuring cups and ice cube trays at first to make the process less messy, but as the foods were able to get thicker, we just spooned them into containers.

I LOVE my Inno Baby food containers for after they were frozen, to tote around. Which you can find at their website or I know Buy Buy Baby carries too.

Ziploc freezer containers or plastic bags worked well for freezing too.

:)
Stef said…
Stop making the other mothers of 5 children look bad. YOu are way too amazing. Seriously. Those cookies are so awesome. I bet the kids just LOVED them!
LeAnna said…
Yes, yes, you are incredible. I think they look amazing! As for baby food, I just use my food processor. (Only, we skipped purees - with the exception of cereal- with Sprig, she went straight to finger foods, which was actually kind of nice.) I've heard the magic bullet makes great babyfood. Annnd, most people I know just freeze them in the ice cube thingies, to save room in the freezer.
Check out http://dandybabyfood.blogspot.com/ she has a bunch of great recipes!
Rick said…
They were for my son's party, and they were almost too cute to eat... so after a brief moral struggle, I tried one. Then two more. Then I got in trouble with the wife. They tasted as good as they looked. Thank you, Laura!!
Dianna said…
Way to go!! They look great!!
carissa said…
so when's the opening of your bakery?! you're amazing.

Popular Posts