Beans Beans the Wonderful Fruit

All this nursing has made me have less time in the kitchen and more time on the couch! So when in doubt? Turn on the cooking channel. Early Saturday morning I caught a show I have not seen before on Food Network called Mexican Made Easy....she made the most incredible dishes that got me inspired to get in the kitchen (ok for a bit...Dude Friend doesn't let me put him down long) Hubs ran to the store for me to get all the ingredients!

Here's the menu for Sunday dinner....

Mexican Bean Stew

Tortilla Bean and Cheese Casserole

I have to tell you I am totally totally excited! Now I forgot to rinse the beans first (read mixed reviews...most say it doesn't matter) but I've never NOT rinsed beans... I didn't have time to start again....but they were were totally fine after cooking.....The beans simmered on the stove for about 3 hrs!

I didn't really follow the directions as much as I should have when making the casserole....I watched the show and did it more like she did! Mine got too thick and I needed to keep adding more chicken broth...so maybe next time I will follow!

I also want to add tons more of the fresh pico...We love pico in this house!

The beans were a bit bland...but still great...might add more pico before blending next time

We added cheese to the top when baking and I think more could be added ....(we love cheese too)

Overall this turned out fantastic! I can't wait to make this again!

Sorry some of the pictures were blurred...I had a heck of a time taking pics w/a baby in my arms...(who started screaming during the process)

Saute pico

Then add your beans and chicken broth

Then blend...(either blender or immersion blender)

Dip corn tortilla on both sides

Stuff w/cheese and fold over

Added cheese to the top before baking

Added pico to the top of mine..hubs added mexican crema



Comments

Shannon said…
Haha....this made me thing...beans beans the musical fruit the more you eat the more you----!

This looks yummy! Might have to give it a try now that I'm finally able to eat something other than a saltine!

XO
Neely said…
Love me some pico!
Annie said…
this sounds and looks SO YUMMY!!
i'm making tacos for dinner...i can't wait ;)
Lori said…
Mmmmm that looks delicious! Not sure if I'd want everyone in the house tooting all night though :)
mountain mama said…
oh, can you come cook for me?? :D
Stef said…
Wow! That looks delicious. Do you have a link for your pico? Or you could send it to me in all that spare time that you have.
(stef.burns at gmail.com)
Those look to die for!!!
Once again, you are amazing.
Angie said…
I love beans. yum! your pics look good for holding a babe!

Popular Posts