Popcorn Movie Theme Party...and Heart Break




The toughest part of being a mommy is when you see your kids feelings hurt. I'm trying to raise my babies treating others how they want to be treated. I want them to stop and think how they would feel. Now I'm not saying my kids are perfect at it...but they have terrific hearts and truly try to be great friends with others. Enter my Mini Me....she tries to play with just about everyone...and is fast learning her friends can be mean.

Her true birthday is at the end of the month and I was afraid I wouldn't make it w/the new baby coming...(now that I've typed that...He'll be a week late) so we planned her party for this weekend.

Yes my fault...I only gave a week and half notice to most girls...but I figure nothings going on in most homes w/it being winter and holidays were over......

She invited about 5 girls....and 2 couldn't come. Great...a total of 4 will be fun! Tuesday one girl (who calls Mini Me a million times a day and they play every week) called to say she wanted to have a play date with another girl on the party day and wanted to bring said girl to the party. 1. ummm hello rude 2. kate doesn't even play or talk to the other girl. She told her friend no that she was sorry...she was keeping the party small. So her so called friend so 'Well fine I'm not coming" and she didn't.

Friday another little girl told Kate that she was invited to another party on Thursday and it looked fun so she wasn't going to Kate's now. (no words to describe that there)

Now down to 2 girls....

30 mins before the party another one of the girls called to say her mom said she couldn't come to her party b/c she went to a sleepover the night before and her mom said it was too late. (Ok Kate's party is from 5-8) and besides they were going to go to a party at 6.

Kate's face fell....she was on the verge of tears and I had no idea what to do.....my heart broke. She said

"mommy do you think _____ is going to show up?...is anyone coming?"

She decided to txt the last girl and called her twice...no answer....5' came and went...finally at 5:25 said girl called and said she was late......she showed up 45 mins late. Ugh

We had already eaten and Kate had started her craft (I mean what was I to do?) I had kept my 'happy ..it's all great' face on and yet inside I wanted to spank each girl for the worst manners in the world. I wanted to punch the mother's for allowing their daughter's behavior in the first place. What examples are they setting?

We ended up making the most of the party...and Kate had a good time w/her friend.

I felt like a bad mother b/c I usually spend a month planning (it takes that long for my creative side to come out) and I only did this in a week....I wish I had thought of more for Kate....She is the sweetest child in the world...and I'm proud she's my daughter! I love how she handled her friends canceling for horrible reasons and I love how she handled the last min ones too. I think I would have thrown myself down crying at her age! haha

Here are some of the party pictures....I went with a Popcorn Movie Theme....

Sign on Door Greeting Guests (Ok guest)

I forgot to order water bottle labels so prints paper real quick w/some movie clip art

Prize bar...Kate handed out awards and said something nice about her friend before she awarded it to her. (her idea...made me smile)

they had awards...movie glasses...light up rings and masks

Popcorn Cupcakes

Lily had to join the fun! what are little sister's for?


The cupcakes were easy to do...just time time time consuming! :o) cutting marshmallows is sticky work.

Bake your cupcakes and had 1/4 cup or so of white icing to a ziploc baggie. Take white and yellow marshmallows (buy the assorted color bag and separate the yellow) and cut into thirds and lay out in a clover pattern. (see photo)

Then take some icing and put a dollop in the middle of the clover and attached 1 marshmallow to the center...Let dry for a bit...(I waited only as long as it took me to make 13 for each cupcake)

Spread some white icing to the top of the cupcake and then stick on all your popcorn! Viola!

Of course my boys told me they looked like flowers! Thanks boys! :o)

Comments

Shannon said…
So cute, L! It turned out just great (as I knew it would). My heart broke when you texted, I would hope other mothers would have better sense. Glad it all worked out in the end! I'm still lovin' those popcorn cupcakes! Good job!
I hated seeing this on Twitter the other night ... my heart sunk and I was on the verge of driving to Dallas to woop some mother's asses! It's rude. And Kate is the sweetest little girl ever and has EVERY right to have THE BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!

Hope she can do a make-up (with other girls, of course) like a sleepover or something in the near future!
Anonymous said…
De-lurking to say what happened to parents teaching their children "teach others the way you want to be treated" or keeping promises or how to be a good friend? I'm sorry your daughter had to experience that. :-(
Sam said…
Wow. I'm not going to lie, my heart was breaking for poor Kate as I read this. I'm really big on people treating other people the way they want to be treated, and when I see things like this, it makes me angry and disappointed. And as far as a week and a half's notice? That's plenty of time. If they just couldn't make it, they shouldn't have said yes in the first place!

But I'm glad that her friend ended up coming, and that you were able to make the most of it! She is just too cute, and all the decorations are awesome! (I hope you need a babysitter, because that's really the only 'skill' I can barter for when I need you to come plan/decorate/bake for all my future fiestas, hehe :p)
Tara said…
I am SO sorry for little Kate! I love her, and I hate that this happened to her! :(
well those girls missed out on a really fun cute party! Kate is the sweetest!
Allison said…
Awww give your Kate a big hug from Indianapolis!! She is sweet and has such a good mommy.
Kristen said…
Uh tween girls can be so mean! That is a tough age. Sadly though, these girls probably won't ever change and will always act this way.

But I am glad that Kate still had one guest and had a good time.

Everything turned out SO cute!
Megan Ashley said…
You did a great job planning given the pregnancy situation, I was in a similar boat with Landon's party this past weekend. I did everything so last minute (new baby in the house) and only 2 friends came, and were both late one was 3 hours late. Thank goodness at 4 years old your feelings aren't as hurt. Kate seems tough, good for her! And good for you holding it together for her. Happy Birthday Kate!
Jumping Jack said…
My heart is breaking again for Kate! I hated when I read your email Friday. Girls can be so ugly sometimes.

Everything looked GREAT for the party though and I love those cupcakes.
Just Add Walter said…
so glad that it turned out better than it started out! that breaks my heart that your little one had to go through that -- you are a great mom and had some great creative ideas to make it memorable!!
Caroline said…
I cannot believe those girls and their parents. How rude?! Well, the party looked super cute and I hope Kate was able to enjoy it.
melifaif said…
First off....CUTE cute party!!!!! I have a lot on my mind that I COULD say, but I won't. What matters is that Kate is a sweetheart, who is now 10. And will grow up to be a very sweet and sassy individual, with a very loving heart. Your family rocks. Stop with the guilt trip, mom.
texas girl said…
I just started reading your blog and that was soo sad my daughter is only 4 months old but I couldnt believe the way some parents let their children act at least the party and your daughter are super cute!!!
How parents let their children behave in such social situations says a lot about the parents' personalities. I hate that those girls were so unthoughtful, but good job to you for keeping her spirits up!! I just hope she knows (which I'm sure she does) what a special mom she has to create such a special birthday party for her!

Happy Bday Mini-Me! :)
Hattie said…
Poor baby! I know how she feels I had the exact same thing happen to me when I was little. Not fun at all!!! Love the decorations and the cupcakes, too cute!!!
I am speechless about the nerve those mothers have! I am not believing that they allowed their children to act like that! I love all the party decor and popcorn cupcakes! You did such a great job on the party, everything looks fabulous!! I hope your sweet girl Kate has a great birthday!
Awe, this makes me so sad. My heart just fell when I saw the picture of your sweet Kate with her big smile. Knowing that she was sad and worried no one was coming. Bless her adorable little heart. I would have been there in a flash to watch that kiddy girly movie smile laugh and talk about Justin Bieber.
Girls can be so cruel. One day as she gets older she can pick through her friends and find the true ones and by the time she graduates she will be mature enough to know who is true and not. That is the joy of age, she just has to make it through these cruel years. She will be the nice good friend all girls wish they had one day, you just watch.

Tell her I say happy birthday (you know that stranger her mom talks to on blog world :) Sounds a little crazy I know but hey its sincere I promise.
Lori said…
Kate sound like an AMAZING child. seriously, you are doing a great job. And she should know what a wonderful little (big) girl she is!

One good friend is worth more than twenty thousand acquaintances. And she sounds like an amazing friend!

Happy belated Kate!
mountain mama said…
oh, bless her heart! she has a good mama! what a great party idea too!

btw, some of my followers are not receiving updates of my latest blogs on their dashboards for some reason. if you would please take a minute a copy and paste my url in the "add manage" section of your blogger dashboard i would greatly appreciate it!! let me know if you have any problems or questions! my last post was called "rabbit stew."
htt://mountainmamablog.blogspot.com
thanks, laura :)
mountain mama said…
oh, bless her heart! she has a good mama! what a great party idea too!

btw, some of my followers are not receiving updates of my latest blogs on their dashboards for some reason. if you would please take a minute a copy and paste my url in the "add manage" section of your blogger dashboard i would greatly appreciate it!! let me know if you have any problems or questions! my last post was called "rabbit stew."
htt://mountainmamablog.blogspot.com
thanks, laura :)
carissa said…
i can never get over how MUCH both of your girls look just like you. all 3 of you are such beauties!

what a fun fun party. and the cupcakes look amazing!
carissa said…
and seriously, i'm thinking of never having "kid" parties because i would worry about no one coming. it would be like reliving my childhood. family parties are my favorite!!!
jen said…
Had this same issue this week but backwards. Every girl Lily plays with was invited to a big party ... except her. I was so mad when I found out about it, but she handled it pretty well. I HATE this part of parenting/growing up.
Jennifer said…
Geez....this was a tough one :( I think those other mother's are worse than the kids for allowing such behavior. I am sure your heart was breaking for her, but you put on the happy face for her. I am glad the last girl showed up and that they had a good time. All that you did for the awards to the cupcakes was awesome!!
Angie said…
My heart just broke. I am so sad for your cutie. What a bunch of rude people. I hope my Layla would never not go to a party and be a little brat that way. I want to raise my kids to be sweet and kind. That story makes me mad. Everything was adorable though...good job...you are a great mommy!
Stacie said…
I'm with everyone else, I felt so badly for Kate when I was reading this! I think she handled it like a champ though (points to you Mom!) and hopefully it'll be an isolated incident.

Popular Posts