Shaken not Stirred...Kids In the Kitchen Craft

With summer coming to an end the kids are getting their 'grump' faces on.

I have to admit I'm right there with them. I am not ready to get up early (ok I'm always up early, but not in function mode) and hurry little creatures out the door for school.

Kate had her little bestie over for a sleepover and I thought to myself....hey why don't we do a little school science work. The groans ensued .

That is until I told them we were making Ice Cream.

Here's what you'll need for each child:

1 gallon and 2 sandwich size ziploc baggies

1 cup of half and half

2 tbs sugar (for those that have your vanilla bean sugar go for it)

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup salt (table will work fine)

lots of ice

So here's what you do.

Fill the gallon size bag half full of ice. Pour in the salt and shake it a bit to mix

Fill the sandwich baggie with half and half, sugar, and vanilla seal.

Place that baggie into the last sandwich baggie and seal (explain later)

Please make sure all the baggies are sealed or you will have a huge mess on your hands

Now this is the fun part (for those watching)

Shake the bags....shake shake shake shake for 5 mins.

5 minutes seems real quick when you are not shaking a really super cold bag.

1

The girls faces crack me up...Kate looks like she has a 'in pain i'm gonna cry smile' and her friend is making a wacky face ...

Kate and her friend's hands were freezing off. They kept quitting and I kept cheering "GO GO GO GO GO" (ok I did have to step in and help shake so they could rest..and my hands were freezing) Gloves might be nice in the future.

At the end of 5 mins take your ice cream baggies out of the salt and ice. Here is where the 2nd sandwich baggie came in handy...The first sandwich baggie is salty so remove that one and discard. Now you have a clean baggie to eat your ice cream from. (we learned this the hard way...our hands were salty from holding the baggie and made the ice cream taste salty. We even squeezed it into a bowl...but yet again the salt from the baggie dripped into the ice cream. No one likes salty ice cream)

IMG_8991

The yummy goodness

This is a super fun way to get your kids in the kitchen and teach them a little science at the same time.

Here's what the lesson is..

How Does it Work?

Salt lowers the freezing point of the ice and creates an extra-cold brine that absorbs heat from the milk mixture, causing the mixture to freeze.

What's Shaking?

Why shake the bag? The motion creates smoother ice cream by breaking up large ice crystals and allows the ice cream to freeze uniformly.

Beyond Vanilla

You can customize your ice cream before or after the big shake up by adding flavored syrups, bits of fruit, crushed cookies, or small candies.

If you add extra stuff to your ice cream afterwards, be sure to fold it in gently or you might end up with ice cream soup!

There you have it....now get in the kitchen with your kids and have a little fun before the whining school starts.

Oh...we also did a little fun things with photoshop...the girls had some more giggles

Our take on the Horsemaning trend...(sort of)

horsemaning

Oh summer days....oh how we'll miss you.

Countdown begins....this is our last week of freedom.

Comments

The Herd said…
Do you remember making fudge at Cy-Fair in 9th grade?
mountain mama said…
yum, i'm sure the girls had a blast...can't believe summer is over!!!!
I read this and had to make it...before I could even comment! My hands are freezing, but I'm enjoying my homemade icecream. It actually tastes just like snowcream!
Caroline said…
Love these fun things! I can't believe the kids are going back to school. So sad.
Stef said…
What fun. I am thinking about doing this tonight for Family night. Whoot. Thanks!
Kerbi said…
You are such a fun mom! I can't believe it's already time to go back to school!
carissa said…
this brings me back to being 12 and dreading, dreading the first day. it's so hard to leave summer. but i know the ice cream making will make it a but easier. hang in there... hope you like coffee.... although since you're nursing you might need decaf which defeats the whole purpose. : )
Anna said…
What a great mom/teacher you are! So fun, I hope I do things like this with my kiddos!

Popular Posts