Sweet Smell of PineSol

I thought this hit close to home....and had to share.

I'm not sure if any of you subscribe to the Proverbs 31 daily ministries that come in your email, but do. Odd how some of these enter my mailbox just when I was dealing with the exact same thing at that very moment! God is Good!

Time does pass us by....to think I was just finding out I was pregnant with Reid a year ago and now look....he's 3 months already...and my oldest is a Freshman in High School.....what am I more concerned with? How pretty and perfect my house looks? Or how much time I gave to my children and sat on the floor and played make believe? I want those moments....what do you want?

The Sweet Smell of PineSol™

T. Suzanne Eller

“Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.’” Matthew 19:14 (NIV)

I admit it. I’m the world’s worst when it comes to preserving photos. I have boxes of photos stacked in various cubbyholes. I tried to organize the pictures once. I divided them and placed them in large envelopes. My next step was to put them in albums. They are still in the envelopes — stacked in a box.

My children Melissa, Ryan, and Leslie are now in their 20′s and newly married. The chances of me ever getting these precious memories organized are slim to none, but I’m realizing something powerful. Memories aren’t limited to pictures.

Remember when, Mom? is a common phrase in my house now. We have become the hub, a privilege once reserved for my husband’s parents. At holidays and special weekends, they drive up and unload luggage and pile into the guest rooms. We laugh and reminisce a lot around the table. Remember when we went on treasure hunts in the pasture? Remember when you jumped on the bed and popped Ryan up in the air so high it scared you? Remember that yellow Slip-n-Slide™?

I do remember. But I also remember a young mom with three little ones who worried that her house wasn’t spotless when an unexpected guest showed up. I remember the angst of trying to do everything and the fatigue when my day ended before my chores did.

I also remember days that I threw caution to the wind and jumped on the bed, even though it might make others frown. I grabbed a shovel and gave the kids plastic buckets and we looked for old bottles and trinkets at the abandoned homestead nearby. We mixed dishwashing liquid and water and I laughed out loud as the kids flew like greased lightening across the yellow slippery slide.

Some of those memories were captured in that pre-digital age, but most were not. However, they are etched on the heart of my young adult children.

What they don’t reminisce about is the sweet, sweet smell of PineSol™. Whether my house was perfect or how it compared to others’ is not even on their radar.

Why did I worry so?

Is it good to have order and structure? Sure. But don’t allow the pressure to be the perfect mom keep you from the simplicity of playing with your children. The unmade bed will still be there when you are through, but I promise that a child will grow quickly.

Take a moment today and look past the clutter and the to-do list and be a child again. It might not be a picture-perfect moment, but it will be a memory.

Dear Lord, time passes so fast. Slow me down. Let me enjoy the smallest pleasures. Let me play with my child instead of only knocking down a to-do list. Let me laugh with my teen instead of fussing at him. Thank You for sweet memories, Amen.


Comments

Caroline said…
Great post! And so true.
Great post, thank you for sharing!!!
Natalie and Lee said…
Just came across your blog and had to let you know your blog header picture is the cutest thing I have EVER seen!! Great blog:)
Stef said…
OH man! I am totally with you on this one. Sometimes it's easy to take a step back and others, it's so tough to just say, "The dishes will wait. My kids won't."
Traditions and everyday living is what family is about. Not spotless carpet or made up beds.
Anna said…
What a wonderful post! I hope to remember this when I have babies :)
Shannon said…
Awww...sniff, sniff!

Thanks for sharing, L!

XO
Angie said…
I love this.

I forget to slow down and stop cleaning sometimes. I am so OCD about some things. I can let them go for so long and then I have to kick everyone out of the house and deep clean.

I shouldn't be so OCD...hopefully as the kids get older I'll get less OCD?? I can dream right?
Neely said…
Fantastic Post Laura!
mountain mama said…
amen, love it!!!!

{unless you run a lodge and have guests coming...hee hee}
Jumping Jack said…
This is such a sweet reminder and brought tears to my eyes! Time does go too, too fast!

See you tomorrow! Can't wait to meet you! :)
Carey said…
What a great reminder! I find myself busy cleaning when Miss E runs up with a book begging to read...I need to stop and read more :)
Hope you are having a great weekend!

Popular Posts