TuTu Tuturial .....No Sew Elastic Waistband Method

I mentioned how I made Lily's tutu for last year. I used the no sew w/the ribbon method. Not really a fan of the ribbon since every few seconds I had to re-tie it!

This year I did the no sew elastic waistband method. At first I stitched the elastic together, but then it kept stretching and so I cut and re-stitched it at the end. Besides it's easier when not connected to keep the elastic from twisting when tying your tulle on!

* some of you were asking where I bought the tulle....I got mine at hobby lobby...it was on sale $1.99 for 25 yards....a spool was 25 yrds This took about 2 spools. 1 of each color!

Materials:
~elastic (I used 1/2" wide)
~scissors
~tulle on spool
~measuring tape
~needle and thread

I measured Lily's waist to be about 19" and cut the elastic 17" ....(again...I still think that was too big...so I ended up cutting the elastic and finished attaching the tulle and re-stitched it in the end)
I then wanted the skirt about 8-9" long ....
I measured each piece of tulle about 19" long (I'm going to be folding it in half)
Then I looped knotted the tulle on and pulled tight.
The skirt ended up being about 92 tulle pieces! Whew!
Mini Me now wants a longer skirt in pink and silver for her dance next month!



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

Stephanie said…
ADORABLE!!! I am going to make this for my 2 year old! She will love it!
Kelly L said…
Very sweet... I do not have a crafty bone in my body... I wish I did!

Love to you
Kelly

I've Become My Mother
April said…
Looks so adorble on little ones. It makes me almost want another to have a baby. I don't know what i will do when my daughter outgrows bows and stuff. Putting the elastic around a box to keep it in place and make the elastic tight will make it go a lot faster too.
Rosalyn McQueen said…
Laura, I love it!!! Where'd you buy your tulle? I've got to make these for the girls... :)
Stef said…
TOo cute. I wish that my little girl was a little more into it. But I wonder if I just made it for her what she would think.
Leslie said…
I was hoping you'd do a tutorial for this when I read that you were making one. Can't wait to make one for my daughter! And I was also wondering where you got the tulle..?
Megs said…
Love it...def gonna try this for Rylee!!!
hey some of you were commenting on where I bought the tulle....I got mine at hobby lobby...it was on sale $1.99 for 25 yards....a spool was 25 yrds This took about 2 spools. 1 of each color!
Annie said…
Cant wait to have a GIRL so I can make one too :) This looks like something even I can make!!
too cute! I wish I had someone I could make one for!
Shannon said…
This is so darn adorable and I cannot get over how much cheaper it is to make than to purchase at a boutique store! Love it Laura, thanks for posting this! How was Wednesday night dinner with the inlaws?
A style blog said…
Ahhh! You're reading my mind woman! I'm making Ella a tutu for Halloween and was just looking at this method online the other day! As soon as I make her tutu I'll blog about it and link people to your page.

You're a crafty little one!
Im making one today for Sat's Fall Fest!
Annie said…
i have been waiting for someone to post on how to make these!! i just LOVE them!! i can't believe how easy they are. yours turned out super cute!! now i just need a little lady to make them for! ;)
have a great day!!!
Erin said…
You make it sound so easy! It almost makes me feel guilty for spending what I did to buy one for a friend's daughter's first birthday! She sure was cute in it!
Angie said…
I love it! You make it look so easy, I'd be all tangled up in a heap of a mess.
carissa said…
love this!!! i'm so excited you posted this. i actually think this is something that i can accomplish. i have 8 months before sage turns one... i better start now! : ) let's just say that my name isn't martha for nothing. you are the best.
jen said…
Now I have a little girl again, I'm going to remember this!
And I just caught up on your last few posts. Keep your chin up, and stay out of the ortho's office!
Stephanie said…
I am in the process of making this now - I didn't buy nearly enough tulle though, so it's only half done :)
My almost 2 year old is going to be a ballerina for halloween and I think she might even wear it for her birthday in November! Thanks again for the great idea!!!
Lily said…
Very sweet... I do not have a crafty bone in my body... I wish I did!

http://tutusforbabiesx.com

Popular Posts