Dirt.....In it's Finest!


Dirt...

A handful of years ago Mini Me told me something...

Mini Me "Mommy...?"

Me "yes honey"

Mini Me "Did you know my eyes are the color of the sky?"

Me "Yes they are as beautiful as the bluest skies or the deepest of blue oceans"

Mini Me "Mommy ...yours are the color of dirt"

Me (deep sigh) "yes honey...yes they are"

I've always dreamed of having something other than plain brown eyes....I have 4 kids and can you believe not 1 of them have brown? My father has gorgeous blue eyes and my mom has brown (like dirt too)

I'll never forget the time (forgive me mother) that my dear mom wanted to get colored contacts to change her eye color. She went for blue and we all died laughing. She looked like she had huge cataracts! She was sooo mad at us for laughing...but thankfully never wore them in public! I thought that one day when I was a mommy I'd have children with brown eyes and they would be plain jane's or joe's.

I will never forget being in grade school and kids would ask if I saw in everything in brown. Odd at the time I didn't say back "No do you see everything in green or blue?"

It wasn't until I met my hubs. His favorite country girl singer at the time was Sara Evans and she had brown eyes. One of her songs at the time was about a brown eyed boy. He made me feel soooo special. Said he knew out of all the women in the world he would marry a brown eyed girl! (think of all the other songs out there about us plain jane's) So a brown eyed boy married a brown eyed girl and had a little princess with green eyes! (Lily) Wonder what # 5 or 6 will have? What are the odds not brown? Btw ...hubs are not the color of dirt...his are like the light brown M&M's they no longer seem to make in the packages!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

jen said…
I always wanted green eyes like Scarlett O'Hara. And it took me seven kids to get a blue-eyed one. Now it seems weird every time I look in her eyes not to see dirt.
Angie said…
OH I love brown eyes! I have hazel eyes and always wanted brown.

I was totally gonna say something about m&m eyes. And then you said it !!

We used to say that all the time about a cute boy in 5th grade. He had the greatest m&m eyes ever! I never thought about them looking like dirt!

Kids are a hoot! They come up with the silliest things:)
My daughter has lovely brown eyes!!Brown are so warm!Love them!Hugs!
What an adorable post! Love that you and your sweet hubby both have brown eyes. My Matt has chocolatey brown eyes too and I think they are gorgeous! I have green eyes...hmm...wonder what our minis eyes will turn out to be? ;) Happy weekend Laura! xox
Stephanie said…
Mu hubby has brown eyes and neither of my girls ended up with them!!
Anonymous said…
I have brown eyes with gold in them, I luv em if I do say so myself LOL
Oh, but Brown Eyed Girl is one of the greatest songs ever!!
Secret Mommy said…
We've got a whole family of dirt-eyed people around here! They're GORGEOUS!!! As are yours. :)
Anonymous said…
I used to want blue eyes because my mom has beautiful blue eyes that she got from my gpa. But my grandmother on my dad's side always says "I prayed you kids would have brown eyes and you do!" Dad, sib, and I all have dark brown eyes...but mine get green and light looking in the sun.

Now husband man has blue eyes and brown hair, that's what I want our kids to have, brown hair and blue eyes. But one of them needs brown eyes!
Lovely post! Bless your Mini Me!
x
Kelly Marie said…
Love your little Mini-Me's response haha! :) What a cute, thoughtful post!!
Vanessa said…
I have dirt eyes too! :-) I so wanted one of our girls to have blue eyes like The Husband's, but that darn dominant gene won both times. It's kind of good though -- The Husband is a sucker for big, brown eyes! I'm teaching my girls to bat their eyelashes at him (and ONLY HIM) now. :-D
Like Dirt.. I've been envious that Brown Eyed Girls have all the songs! How exciting all your kiddies don't have brown that's crazy! Esp when you both have brown!
Ashley O. said…
My Hubby and I both have light brown eyes and my little Jules has what looks to be (so far) dark green eyes! I love them!!

Thanks for visiting Mommywood! :)
Stacie said…
Love this post! It reminds me when I was younger and told my mom I needed to have a serious discussion with her about our eyes. Thinking it was going to be "the" discussion about why I'm Asian and she's not, she braced herself....only to hear me ask why her eyes were such a pretty blue and mine were a poopy brown. And that's so crazy your kids don't have brown eyes!

Popular Posts