My Sweet Tooth Is Killing Me

1

Yesterday was Wednesday....(I know you need no reminding...maybe I do) and you know that meant dinner with the inlaws.

I made French Dip sandwiches.....there is just something about a massive piece of beef slow cooking in broth and onion soup all day that gets your mouth a water'n. Or when you shred that beef and put it on gorgeous fresh soft sub rolls and melt some swiss (or provolone) over it.....and dip them in the juices...mmmmm. I was even craving salt and vinegar chips....so that made the perfect side kick. It was all about me yesterday or so it seems.

For dessert I had been craving that picture on the side of the nilla wafer box....you know the one....with the eggnog eclair on the side...Well I didn't want Eggnog....I wanted a toasted coconut eclair. (think coconut cream pie)

So what does any pregnant chick do? She makes 2....(well I had to anyways....we've got a crowd to feed and I'm glad I made two...there was none left) I made a regular (none eggnog) and coconut one.

Oh sweet goodness if I hadn't died and gone to heaven when I sampled them.

Here's what you need.....

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
2 cups cold milk
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
78 NILLA Wafers
2 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate
coconut extract
shredded coconut

Here's what you do....

BEAT cream cheese in large bowl with mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in milk. Add dry pudding mix, coconut extract; beat 2 min. Gently stir in 1-1/2 cups COOL WHIP and a handful of coconut.(I think it was close to about 3/4 cup...I was eyeballing)

LINE 9x5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap. Arrange 15 wafers, top-sides down, on bottom of pan; cover with 1/4 of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers 3 times. Top with 15 of the remaining wafers. Refrigerate 3 hours.

INVERT dessert onto plate; remove plastic wrap. Microwave chocolate and 1 cup of the remaining COOL WHIP in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 25 sec.; stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended. add tbsp of coconut. Mix well. Cool 1 min. Pour over dessert. Garnish with remaining COOL WHIP and wafers. Toast some coconut under your broiler and sprinkle on top of that....(yes I like coconut)

If you are not a fan of coconut (shame on you) then just omit all the extract and shredded coconut steps.

The chocolate topping was sinfully good....I was shocked at how sweet/bitter it tasted and complimented the dessert perfectly.

I wish my picture was better....but I only remembered when there was a small section left....boo to me...

I really need to watch my sweets/carbs. I've decided I'll have carbs at one meal a day and sweets every Wednesday. This way I don't deny myself and binge AND can hopefully keep my weight gain down this pregnancy. So far I haven't gained a lb. (granted I started 10 lbs heavier so I HAD BETTER NOT HAVE GAINED) I usually ALWAYS gain 40 lbs...10 the first 10 weeks. My midwife said it was possible to only gain 15....but I would really have to watch my carbs and make sure I eat low to moderate foods on the glycemic chart and keep my liquids to waters and tea. Today I have failed already.....(deep sigh) I had toast and nutella for breakfast....(I suck)

I'm wondering where all the other pregnant momma's are this time around....the last time I was pregnant (points to Dude) there were 4 other momma's on my street and a handful bloggy friends.....am I alone this time around? Share the bump!



Comments

Just Brandi said…
Holy crap! I'm late, but CONGRATS to you... AGAIN! Geez woman! You are super mom!
Anna said…
Oh I've got the bump going on...I'm due on Monday but think we'll go over! Sounds delish! What are the odds I enjoyed a nice french dip sammy for lunch yesterday :)
Yum. I'm gonna try that...minus the coconut! :)

AND I want the french dip recipe, please ma'am!
The Herd said…
no pictures??? sounds yummy!! Hey, do you do dinner with the in laws every wednesday? That's a great idea!
K
Anonymous said…
Yummmmmmmmmm that is my kind of dessert!
carissa said…
oh girl! sidenote: the title of your post below cracks me up. have i told you that you're my hero? ; )

anyways, this looks so good and sinful. i made carmelitas the other day and they were gone in a day. had to run extra miles. i run just to eat sweets. : )
I gained EXACTLY 41 pounds with every baby.

(okay, with #2 I only gained 20, but I still had 21 pounds left to lose from the last pregnancy....9 months before that...)

With the first one I watched what I ate LIKE CRAZY. When I *could* eat and keep it down, that is. With the rest I went between eating everything in sight and starving myself and it didn't matter one bit: 41 pounds.
Mmmmmm. Cake. And I, too, am prego. Due in early May. :)
JDub said…
We had French dips tonight! Wish I had that dessert with them though.

I'm due in 4 weeks :)
Annie said…
ummmmmmmmmmm YUM! and now I am officially hungry!!

Popular Posts