Shelf Life...I'm a Waster


My husband hates this about me. I can't stand to keep food in the fridge for longer than 1 day..maybe 2 ...depends on the hour I cooked it the days before...I know I'm weird...no need to remind me! :o)
I google those Shelf Life website of foods, but I'm convinced they have no clue truly about food.

I am a lot better than I was BH (before hubby) about this while issue though. He grew up in a family where his mom would toss everything in a pot at the end of the week and make soup out of it. I laugh and tell her all the time that I would have starved growing up in her house. My FIL loves me though b/c I send all leftover past 2 days to his house. I swear they have stomachs of steal over there...I cringe when I think of the past shelf life of foods they eat. You know how things say...good for _____ days when opened? Well I will chunk it on the day before...I don't know...I just panic! I don't want my family sick from contaminated foods!

SO get this...I totally went against all my shelf life rules...yesterday the kids all lost the bet about the "click to vote" contest. 1 kid said I would be at 100...another kid said I would not get any votes (gee thanks) and the other child said I would get 50 votes...ok they were all wrong..I think I got about 20 votes, which means they all lost...and so the piece of Black Forest Cheesecake sat there.

UNTIL TODAY...I ate it just a few mins ago and it was sooo good. I will force myself not to think about the fact that I made it Wednesday and I that I will be ok. My FIL told me to send what was left to his house on Monday...he'd polish it off! ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, but too late!

Side Note:
Wasn't a huge fan of Couples Retreat....neither was hubby...had only 1 funny scene...I was really disappointed since we are huge Vince Vaughn fans...

Comments

Kelly L said…
I am also a big tosser of food that have been in the fridge for a little while - the husband thinks if there isn't mold growing all over it - it's fine... yuck!

Love to you
kelly
I have the same problem too!If you can say it a problem!Thats why I try to cook a meal for one day and I usually have a success!The problem is that my kids have learn the same way and they cant eat the same food the next day!!!If its left over?!
Unknown said…
Okay, I'm guilty. I will keep stuff forever!
Adrienne said…
I am the opposite of you. Leftovers stay in my fridge for a week and a half if not longer. i do get worried about how safe some of the food is after it has been in there for so long.

I also was not a huge fan of couples retreat
Kristen said…
ha ha! I am the same way, I am always telling my boyfriend that certain foods are in the "danger zone" (aka about to go bad or be thrown). I don't know where/when I picked up that phrase, but I take a lot of crap for it!
Neely said…
Boyfriend and I rented couples retreat last weekend. We turned it off 20 mins in because it was awful!
Expat Girl said…
Omg I am the exact same and my husband just laughs at me and eats anything- I dont know how he doesnt get sick!
Perfectly Jenn said…
I have the same issue with food especially if it's not stored properly as well. Saran wrap, foil and paper towels are not good storage tools in my opinion.

I also agree about Couple's retreat. I was very disappointed as well.
carissa said…
so the toss all in a pot soup sounds... hmmm... scary! : ) so glad you found my blog so that i could find yours!!! it's presh! i like you already. so happy to meet you! i'm a follower now!!!
LeAnna said…
I grew up eating (don't laugh, but this is seriously what my grandma, and Mom call it) "orts" haha! My husband on the other hand will NOT eat leftovers, period. Drives me insane, but apparently he got sick several times growing up eating his Momma's leftovers. :P
Vanessa said…
I not only want to throw out the food, I have a problem keeping the container it was in! I can't stand to dish out the offending food, so sometimes when DH isn't around, I will throw out the entire thing!
Amy Prikazsky said…
I'm the same way! My hubby gets so upset with me if I throw something away even ifs it's been in the fridge WAY to long! Great post!
Kelly Marie said…
I have a hard time not liking movies. I like everything I see, but I felt the same about couples retreat. It was..okay at best. I'm the same way about food. I actually don't even leftovers at all (except pizza) - it FREAKS me out.
Beth Priest said…
hilarious. my sister says something is good for 5 days after you make it! my max is 2-3 days.. Your blog is cute!!! so glad i found it!
I was disappointed in Couples Retreat. I expected it to be a lot more funny than it was.
Annie said…
I dont do leftovers either!! But my huns sure does...it's hard for me not to just toss everything after dinner!!

Bummed to hear about COuples Retreat but I have been hearing that a lot! Maybe we wont waste our time!
I love love love this post. I started cracking up. My boyfriend LIVES by the exp. date. It's tossed before I even know it's old. Where as my family has the stomach of steel so I today am drinking milk that expired on the 26th. I'm sure that wasn't something you were dying to know.. But I feel your pain I get mad when people toss perfectly good leftovers (Dusty) where as he cringes at the thought of eating it.

Popular Posts