It's a Southern Thing....Black Eyed Peas

black_eyed_peas1

If you know me you know my theory on the Civil War. I'm not gonna beat you down again on the fact that is was NOT fought over SLAVERY, but put due to the sweet South wanted to secede. (read this quick brief summary to get ya started if you want to know more).

North didn't play fair....they stole, burned, killed, raped, or basically destroyed anything in their path through the South. Same for when it came to our crops....they didn't ask...just took our crops and livestock for their troops to feed on.....they pretty much left nothing in their wake for the southerner's left behind.

Enter the black eyed peas. At that time, Northerners considered "field peas" suitable only for animal fodder, and did not steal or destroy these humble foods (why I'm not sure).....hence why as a tradition in the South we eat Black Eyed Peas for luck!! Because it was the one crop they left behind to eat.

I'm a sucker for all beans/peas (well food in general)

As my luck would have it I don't really have a good Texas Caviar recipe in my stash (deep shock)

I do have a fantastic Black Bean Salsa that if I added a can of Black Eyed Peas to it it would be rocking....Hubs said NO....THAT'S NOT TEXAS CAVIAR. Well I know, but it's got our Lucky beans in it.

Any plans for New Years? I'll be lucky if I make it past 8pm....I'm super tired these days....and it's not as if Hubs and I will be swinging from the rafters....Dude has a bit of a cough and has been up a few times at night.....and did I mention he thinks 6am is a good wakey wakey time? (blah)

Speaking of Dude.....here's the sweet lad.....

1

He turns 11 months on Sunday....Where has time gone?

With that all said...

HAPPY 2012 .....Here's to another fabulous year.....

Comments

KMServino said…
My family is from the south too and we eat black eyed peas and ham on new years day every year for luck.
Rachel said…
I love Southern gals! :)
We eat black eyed peas for luck as well, and had lots of family members fighting for the Confederacy long ago.

Gosh time flies!
Learned something new today!

He is A.Dor.A.Ble.

If y'all DO happen to swing from the rafters, get a pic? K. thanks. :)
LeAnna said…
I love BEP's, love 'em! Picked ours up yesterday, in fact.
Dude mans eyes are soooooo pretty, and his cheeks are so kissable. Sorry he's awake several times at night, that makes for one wore out Mama!
No plans for this weekend, we party hard like that. :P
Hi! Came over thru Flower Mama's blog...
I {heart} black eyed peas...while I don't necessarily think I'm a "southern" gal(born& raised on the KS/OK state line), I grew up on these little jewels and still love 'em today! My grandma always made a big pot of black eyed peas, fried taters, cornbread and of course onion. My hubby thought I was crazy the first year we were married and I fixed all that. I don't think I could survive New Years Day without it all!! lol

Have a great New Year!
p.s. such a little cutie you have!

Popular Posts