The View From A Child's Eyes

Have you ever just sat and stared at your babies? I do this often...I'll sit on the floor with them to play and find myself just being absorbed in watching their every move.

Lily....

3

she is so inventive in her imaginary play. Some of the things she comes up with have me and B scratching our heads in wonder. I always say that she gets it b/c she's my child (we all know it's hubs with the brains in the family)

The other day she spread a blanket on the hard floor and pretended it was a boat. She wanted me and dude to get in the boat with her b/c the sharks were coming. Of course dude can't comply so he went "swimming for food" she said. Occasionally she would jump into the 'water' to cool off b/c the heat was so bad and our skins were burning....I MEAN HELLO...WHERE DOES SHE GET THIS STUFF? She swam off and found another blanket that became our tent to sleep in at night. I tell you...come to our house and play you will never be bored. NO seriously come to my house...I could use some helping organizing...extra hands would be nice...I'll bake you some cookies and we can chat too (wiggles eyebrows)

This morning while watching the big kids walk to the bus stop she hollered...."hey I need a closer look....where are my binoculars?" and grabbed her hands and made pretend ones to look out.

(look at dude's face in the background)

2

Watching Little Dude is just as fun as watching his big sis. His little 7.5 month old mind is so in that..."I've got to touch and eat and swat at everything in my line of vision". How else can they learn about their world.

This morning I watched him crawl to the toy bucket....stand up and proceed to pull everything out (just like he sees big sis doing) to find the right toy. He plops down and passes it from hand to hand staring at it like it's the first time he's ever seen it. Gives it a slobber....looks at it again...passes it to his other hand...turns it over....looks at it and eats it again. Tosses it down and goes back for more toys.

He now will wander from my sight to the next room to cruise around the furniture. I'll sneak in there and see him walking the furniture looking for anything to touch. I'll say in my "ah ha I caught you you little stinker" tone "what are you doooooooooooing little boy" and see him squeal with laughter (such a sweet sound) and take off crawling at the speed of light.

I wish we could put a little voice box on his throat (you know like the dog in the Disney move Up) to see what's going on inside that sweet mind of his.

1

I guess one day my house will be cleaner...and I might even be organized...but right now I'm a hot mess and so is my house.... but I'm not missing a minute of my 5 kids and all their play and learning...b/c in watching them I am learning a thing or two too....to slow and enjoy the now...and to stop and look at things through the eyes of a child.

Comments

jen said…
I can't believe Lily's hair. That girl is so lucky.
Stay safe--from the sharks, I mean.
Anonymous said…
I know I've said this a thousand times, but I LOVE your blogs. I love hearing your stories.

Speaking of kids imaginations, a good friend of mine's 6 year old painted red dots all of her body with NAIL POLISH and told her parents she couldn't go to school because she had chicken pox! HA HA HA!! I don't know where kids get these wild imaginations, but I think that's part of the thing that makes them so special.
Caitrin said…
They are both getting so big- and adorable as always! I love her imagination--wish I could be that creative!
Jumping Jack said…
I LOVE this post! I was going to write a post today about Jack and his imaginary play but I left my camera at home so I didn't have any pictures. I must say Lily's play is much more advanced than ours, and I would LOVE to come sit in your house, chat and watch the kids play!

Lily and Reid are precious! I can't believe he's already 7.5 months old. How did that happen so fast???
mountain mama said…
kids' imaginations always surprise me! they are like sponges soaking up everything there see and hear!

you def. have enough to keep you on your toes :)
Caroline said…
What beautiful children?! And such a beautiful post by a beautiful momma!
Shannon said…
L is gorgeous! How is it that they continue to grow SOOOO quickly!?
XO
Neely said…
Most gorgeous babies ever!
Lori said…
Oh Lily is gorgeous. Love her personality. seriously...
Stef said…
Your house sounds like fun. I would totally come hang out. They are such cuties!!
Dana said…
Great post!! And man those 2 are absolutely adorable!!!

I wanna come over, and eat cookies!!!
Amber said…
I totally wanna come over and play with these dolls!

Popular Posts