Happy Birthday Lillian Brenna...Party Time

Lily

(hours old)

Friday September 26th, 2008 1:11 pm sweet angel baby enter our lives and changed them for the better. I can honestly say she has kept us on our toes...and I wouldn't trade her for all the calm babies in the world...(just wouldn't mind them rubbing off on her)

IMG_0821

Hard to believe she is 3 yrs old today. Where has time gone?

(her birth) I started having contractions at 8pm the night before and ignored them. (isn't that what we all do?) around 4am my water broke...no ignoring that. I will never forget the calmness of hubs....I woke him to tell him...his reaction? "Get a towel...shove it between your legs and get back to bed....the kids will be up soon" A man of sweet sweet words.

I labored at home until I was having a difficult time talking...got to the birthing center around 11:45...had her at 1:11 and back home a few hrs later just in time for the kids to come home from school to see their sweet new sister.

Here they are holding her when they got home....

Lily's big brothers and big sister

This years birthday party theme was The Very Hungry Caterpillar...(thanks to Pottery Barn for the idea) and we had a small get together at the house.

3 party

Here's birthday girl riding her car toting her presents. She's a hot mess like her mother. Her hair is crazy. The child refuses to have you style it.

IMG_9782

I made a template for all of the cookies (easier to make then buy it)

4

5

I made tissue paper balls for a caterpillar archway

1

Caterpillar drink markers

IMG_9764

Food was based after the book....apples, cheese, pizza (well there should have been pizza in the book), lil smokies, strawberries...etc.

IMG_9791

3

IMG_9815Lily enjoying her "caterpillar" fruit stick.

The cupcakes had a rainbow cream cheese frosting that was sinful (recipes for cupcakes and frosting below)

11

6

IMG_9828


My Inlaws saved their present for after the party... She only wanted Sissy to ride in it....

IMG_9856

Then Reid had a turn. He was so excited and talking up a storm....(notice Lily's expression..she's complaining "get him out get him out")

IMG_9861

We ended up taking her and dude for a walk later that night...they had the best time and probably would have strolled for hours if daddy and I weren't worn out. I can't wait for fall.

Cupcakes and Cream Cheese Frosting

(note: I do so much blog stalking that I wish I could remember where I found the frosting recipe from and give credit where credit is due)

I tore this cupcake recipe out in the March 2007 Southern Living magazine and finally got around to baking them. It's my new favorite recipe. I should have baked these sooner...better late than never.

Ingredients

  • 1 (18.25-oz.) package white cake mix with pudding
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • Vegetable cooking spray

Preparation

  • 1. Beat first 6 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer just until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium, and beat 2 minutes or until batter is smooth, stopping to scrape bowl as needed.
  • 2. Place paper baking cups in muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter evenly into baking cups, filling each two-thirds full.
  • 3. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pans to wire racks, and cool 1 hour or until completely cool.
Note: We call for using a mixer, but you can stir these together by hand with great results. Because the mixer adds more air to the batter, you'll end up with 17 cakes rather than 24 when you stir them by hand. For testing purposes only, we used Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic White Cake Mix. (this is true)

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temp
  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temp
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1-4 tbs heavy cream
Directions:
Cream butter and then add cream cheese and blend until combined.
Add vanilla and powdered sugar on low until combined.
Increase to med and beat until fluffy
Slowly add cream a little at a time until desired consistency is met
Beat until fluffy (about 1 min)

I doubled the recipe. I would probably triple it if I had 24 cupcakes. Notice I used a lot of icing...and my hips thank me...it was well worth it.


Happy birthday Lillian
(and to everyone else out there that has a birthday today)



Comments

Unknown said…
What a super cute party! We have a first birthday coming up and I have no idea at all what to do for a theme. Maybe I can go look through some books and be inspired!
Unknown said…
She is adorable! ...and I love the party idea!
Anonymous said…
You are so unbelievably crafty! How do you find the time to bake, craft and raise 5 kids?
You are my hero. That is all!
Laura how in the world do you find time?! The party turned out adorable!!
Sam said…
Oh my gosh Laura.. you should definitely be a part planner! Each party you post about is better than the last, you constantly outdo yourself -- awesome! And happy birthday to little Lily! =]
Caroline said…
The party looks AWESOME!!! I love how it all turned out! :) Happy Birthday Lilly! So cute!
Shannon said…
Way to go! I've said it before but your kiddos are so lucky! You're such a great momma! Love love everything, especially the poms made like the Hungry Caterpillar! Wish GG could've attended! XO
Anna said…
Totally awesome, I'm super impressed!!
Happy 3rd Birthday, Lily!!! Love the theme! You did awesome, Laura :)
Amber said…
As always, you totally outdid yourself! You amaze me woman :) Happiest of birthdays to sweet Lily!
Dianna said…
Great job! I love the tissue paper caterpillar and the cookies looks amazing!
likeschocolate said…
So adorable! Love the frosting on the cupcakes. So cool that it is different colors.
carissa said…
dang mama... professional party planning in your future? in all your spare time, you know?! ; ) this looks absolutely amazing!!! the fruit kabobs are a great idea. happy birthday to princess lily!!!

Popular Posts