Foodie Friday....I'm on a Roll

12

Or a Scone in this case...get it ...roll...but I made scones? Ohhhh never mind ...yet again. (grins)

Last week at playgroup I made some scones for the first time....and took along my cherry jam I made to go with them. They were de-lish. Scones were some of the things I had yet to give my baking hand a try at. I think I'm hooked (on to biscotti....it's next)

So I thought I would try again...this time I'd make Glazed Lemon Scones. I sampled one...and then wanted to sample another...but caught myself first. They were that good. The kids are suckers for anything Lemon and kissed me multiple times when they walked in the door from school yesterday

Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
  • 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 1 cup heavy or whipping cream, plus a little for brushing
  • 1 egg yolk, beaten slightly
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • LEMON GLAZE:
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 2 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream
Instructions
  1. Heat the oven to 400°. Grease a large, heavy baking sheet (preferably not a dark one) and set it aside.

  2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon zest and toss the mixture with your hands.

  3. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.

  4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the cream, the yolk, and the vanilla extract and use a fork to blend the liquids within the well. Then use a wooden spoon to combine all the ingredients, just until the dough holds together.

  5. Scrape the dough onto a flour-dusted surface and then, using floured hands, knead it gently three or four times to form a ball. Flatten the ball into a disk about 3/4-inch thick, then cut it as you would a pie into 8 wedges.

  6. 14Transfer the pieces to the baking sheet, leaving at least 1/4 inch between them. Brush the tops lightly with cream.

  7. Bake the scones in the center of the oven until golden brown, about 16 to 18 minutes. Allow them to cool on the sheet for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack.

  8. While the scones continue to cool, make the glaze. Combine all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk them until the mixture is smooth. If necessary, you can thin the glaze with water, stirring in no more than 1/2 teaspoon at a time. When the scones have cooled for another 10 minutes, drizzle each one generously with glaze. Makes 8 scones.

13

With the smell of Fall in the air thanks to Pinterest...I'm pulling out some fallish recipes and making Pumpkin Buns (family circle 10/09)

pumpkin buns

On the Menu for dinner Wed night was Mexican Meatloaf, Cheddar Chile Rice, and Pepper Cheese Muffins. All inspired by my KitchenAid stand mixer cookbook.
food

Mexican Meatloaf
1 cup salsa
2 cups bread crumbs (although I used just 1)
1 small onion chopped
1 egg
1tbs worcestershire
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 ground beef

Place 3/4 cup of salsa, bread crumbs, onion, egg, worcestershire sauce, galic salt, and pepper and mix
Add beef and mix just until blended.

Form in loaf or 3 smaller loaves. Spoon more (or remaining) salsa over the tops
Bake 350 for 40-50 mins until done.
(or roll into balls and bake at 400 for 25 mins and serve with salsa)

Pepper Muffins

1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup melted butter
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp chopped parsley
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Place buttermilk , butter, and eggs in mixer. Turn to speed 4 for 1 min. Stop to scrape. Combine flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, parsley, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Turn to STIR speed and add flour mixture, mixing until moistened. About 30 secs. DO not over beat.
Fill greased regular muffin pans two-thirds full.
Bake at 400 for 15-20 mins.

I prepared the meatloaf ahead of time and same with the muffins. (just warm before serving)
I have found when cooking for my large group...and having 5 kids at my heels while making dinner set to be ready at 5:15...that prep work is the key. Do all you can in the morning so the kitchen is clean by dinnertime.
Fall puts me in the mood to bake/cook. Hmmm bring on the Fall


Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my!! All I see is carbs, carbs, carbs and I WANT THEM SO BAD! Yum!! I am vicariously living through you! :)
Sarah Ann said…
Those scones look incredible. I think I might have to make them!!
Dianna said…
I am linking you up in my post today!
LeAnna said…
I like the sounds of that Mexican meatloaf!
Stacie said…
All the recipes look delicious but the meatloaf is calling my name! :-)
mountain mama said…
oh yum girl! i'm sure your playgroup was happy! :)

Popular Posts