You Had Me at Banana Nut......



I make a fantastic Banana Nut Bread/Muffin.  (Seriously I do)

Ok I can't take all the credit....I got my recipe from Grandma Miller way back in the day...She made the best bread...

I'm grateful I asked her for her recipe before she passed on.....(I'm not sure any of her stuff was written down) because there is nothing like her recipe in the entire world!

I literally make these muffins for the kids every week...and you can usually (not today) find some in the freezer (they freeze beautifully)

Today I wanted something a little bit different....I wanted

Banana Nut Pancakes

1

I scoured Pinterest but nothing caught my eye....

So off to Google and found this beauty over at Just a Taste

Ingredients:

1½ cups all-purpose flour
3½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon white sugar
2 ripe bananas
1¼ cups milk
1 egg
4 tablespoons butter, melted
½ cup chopped pecans
Vegetable oil, for pan-frying
Maple syrup, for serving

Directions:

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl then set it aside.
In a separate bowl, mash together the bananas with the milk, egg and melted butter.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet, stirring to combine, then stir in the nuts. Allow the batter to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium-low heat and add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan, allowing it to heat for 2 to 3 minutes. (I used canola spray)
In batches, scoop 3 to 4 tablespoons of batter into the pan to form pancakes. Cook the pancakes on one side until bubbles appear in the center, then flip them once and continue cooking them until they're no longer doughy in the center. Serve the pancakes with your choice of toppings, including maple syrup, fresh fruit or whipped cream.

I always like to use Toasted Nuts when a recipe calls for nuts.  You can totally taste a difference in toasted nuts vs untoasted....

If you are like me today you were distracted and burned the first couple of batches.  

Moral...."Always watch your nuts so they don't burn"

I doubled her recipe and started to 2nd guess myself....It made a ton of batter....but honestly ...after baking them I'm glad I did......

The kids LOVED them!  

Last words I uttered after licking my plate?

"Dern those were good"

In case you want to try Grandma Miller's Banana Bread Recipe....Here ya go....what's great about her recipe?  Mix it all by hand!!!

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
                                 2 cups flour                                 
                            1 tsp baking soda                            
                     1/2 tsp baking powder                      
1/2 tsp salt
3 ripe mashed bananas
2 eggs; beaten
3 tbs milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup toasted pecans or walnuts

Mix flour, soda, powder, salt in bowl with whisk; set aside

Stir sugar and oil until blended
Stir in bananas (to save on bowls I beat the eggs in this smashed banana bowl...then add)
Stir in eggs

Slowly incorporate flour mixture until blended.  Stir in milk and vanilla.
Last throw in nuts and give it a stir

Now I have been making muffins....My oven is set to 350.....makes a dozen muffins....20 mins later they are perfect...I like mine slightly pale on top...makes for a super moist muffin

If you are doing a loaf pan....check after 45 mins.  (I forget time since I'm a muffin girl)

Enjoy!

Comments

Jumping Jack said…
Yum! Those look good! I bet my boys would love them!
LeAnna said…
That picture is absolutely fantastical. I have two super ripe bananas, might have to make some banana bread this week!
Unknown said…
We can't wait to make these...thanks for sharing!
Unknown said…
We can't wait to make these...thanks for sharing!

Popular Posts