The Project from Hell

Before I get to how I suck as a craft woman.......

You need to make this.....

2

I ran across these German Chocolate Brownies on Pinterest (where else?) the other day and knew my FIL would love them for a Wednesday Night dinner treat.  (ok who am I kidding...my pregnant belly would too)

I mean the Coconut Pecan icing in the can isn't bad (gags) but anything homemade in my book is better.....(well let me back up....I didn't make the brownies homemade....I am in ♥ with Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie mix lately....that sucker is moist and just rich to the bones....)

So I got my sheet pan out and doubled the brownies and baked those....

Let them cool and then make the Coconut Pecan frosting as follows....(no need to double...there was plenty for my sheet pan and more)
COCONUT PECAN FROSTING
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 2 1/2 to 3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (I roasted mine first for 8 mins in a 350 oven)
In a medium saucepan, stir together the egg yolks, sugar, butter, vanilla,  and evaporated milk until well blended. Cook this mixture over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in the flaked coconut and chopped pecans, blending well. Let mixture cool for about 30 minutes, then give it a final stirring and spread evenly over the completely cooled brownies
Next time I will let mixture boil a bit longer for the color to darken a bit more....didn't affect the taste at all...just thought the color should be a bit darker than I made mine


1 

I may or may not be dreaming for a moment alone when the kids aren't watching to steal another piece

Now on to why I am not a crafter....I stink at painting furniture.   I really do...I can do walls....tiny projects.....I realized as of late I love staining stuff too...but painting pieces of furniture...NOPE ...don't ever ask me...

First I bought 2 cans of spray paint....Black Krylon Paint and Primer spray paint....How hard can this be right?  Well remember how the 1st can was spraying SPLATTER and when I took my finger off it kept spraying...thankful I was in a field b/c I threw the can....2nd can didn't splatter (as much) but was pouring paint down my gloves and can....looked like it sprung a leak.  

So off hubs to the rescue...He buys a cheap can b/c after all...it will prob work.  He heads to Lowe's and buys a no name plain black can...
WELL IT RUINED MY CHAIR.  
OH it worked great...(harder to push trigger) but...
It made my chair go from pretty black (with splatter) to black dust.  It seriously looked like it had been burned and all that was left was char.  I wanted to cry at this point

Off to sand the thing a 4th time....

only...
I bought myself an orbital sander.  Awesome huh?! 

 (not if you're me)

 Next to it were the orbital round sanding pads so I buy them all

I get home ....and start to sand the charred chair....I finished the pad they gave me in the box and opened a package I bought...

ONLY THE PACKAGES I BOUGHT WERE ADHESIVE  

and my sander is 

velcro

Now I feel like throwing something and yelling like a maniac.  

This project has taken way longer than it should
So off I go 

YET AGAIN 

to buy PAINT this time..(can't find the velcro sanding pads)

I figure I'll paint the chair where the spray paint sucked at......

This is when I learn I have no skills....I'd have been better off letting Lily have a go at the brush.

Needless to say this was a shabby chic project....a table and chairs that small children will be eating on....SO IT DIDN'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT

Here are the table and chairs are w/o a 2nd coat.....I might toss in the rubber gloves and call it a day

3

I think I'll stick to being barefoot and preggers in the kitchen!

Comments

JDub said…
From far away they look pretty great - I don't see anything.
Anonymous said…
In the picture they look great! Sure sounds like you are having one heck of a time with that project :(
Neely said…
That desert looks amazing
The table and chairs look great to me! If nothing else, you make great brownies. They look delicious!!
Dianna said…
Don't you hate when a simple project turns for the worst! In this pic they look fine!
LeAnna said…
Sometimes paint can be the biggest thorn in my flesh! However, the table and chairs are PRECIOUS! Garage sale find?!
Angie said…
I'm not a painter either. I can do walls and stain a fence, but I painted a chair pink once and I hated every second of it!

I'm dying over those brownies. I'm gonna have to make them soon. They look so so so so good.

I've had you on my mind a ton lately. Hope you are feeling good!

Hugs to you friend!

Popular Posts