A Good Meal Gone Good....

I pulled out a recipe the other day and made a copy of it.....

Since the kids were begging for me to 'start' cooking again I thought I'd give a new recipe a try.  

Glad I did...It was quick and super easy and pretty tasty. 

Thanks Gooseberry Patch for this yummy dish (and used their photo)

mexican

Mexican Lasagna

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound ground mild pork sausage 
  • 1/2 pound ground beef 
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped 
  • 2/3 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chiles
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of celery soup
  • 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (10-oz.) can enchilada sauce
  • 18 (6-inch) corn tortillas
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese 
  • 1 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 tomato, seeded and diced 
  • 4 green onions, chopped 
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Optional: 1 avocado, chopped  

Preparation

  1. Cook sausage and ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in jalapeño and next 5 ingredients; cook until thoroughly heated.
  2. Spoon one-third of sauce onto bottom of a lightly greased 13"x9" baking dish; top with 6 tortillas; sprinkle with half of Cheddar cheese. Top with 6 tortillas; repeat layers, ending with tortillas. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese and next 3 ingredients.
  3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Top with avocado, if desired.

    Overall I think it was great...I did make a few changes and WILL do a few things differently next time...

    I added Chili Powder...and I WILL double the meat mixture next time and add some chopped onions when browning the meat.  I'd also like to maybe make 2...one for me and hubs and add more jalapeno (with seeds).  We also added some chopped black olives to ours.  I'd like to add that to the cheese mixture...and of course...MORE CHEESE!

    Yum! 

Comments

carissa said…
i'm loving this meal idea! why have i not tried this yet? we live live live off of mexican food. and to think of it all in one dish?? amazing!

can't believe you are 2 weeks away - less than! wow!!
Jumping Jack said…
That sounds good ! Doesn't fit into our "quote" healthy eating right now, but by winter I'll be looking for some casseroley dishes. I'm with you on adding more jalapeños!

I have a box of clothes ready to send to you for Reid. Might be a little big this summer, but perfect for next. I'll try to get to ups tomorrow.

Can baby C come out already!????

Popular Posts