Bad Parenting Award Again Goes To....

Me.

Yep I had another mommy fail again.  

You would think by the 6th kid I would learn?

Cole and his Allergic Reaction....

Ok in all fairness....baby #4 and #5 had baby acne from 3-6 weeks of age.  So when Cole turned 3 weeks and started to get a rash on his face..I ignored it. 

Enter last week.....Wednesday dinner with the inlaws....

After dinner hubs busted out our Costco Jug of cashews...YUM...So what do I do?  I reach in and grab me a handful...or 2...

That evening when changing little man I noticed his bumps had spread down his chest and then his arms and legs had a few.   Oh man....I thought...he's got a bad case of the baby acne

The next morning I noticed the rash was now all over...not angry red...but all over...

Thurs evening instead of going to bed like normal around 9ish...Cole screamed from 8-1am. And there wasn't a thing I could do to make him happy.
 Ok for starters my baby rarely cries.  Just when his booby isn't getting to his mouth fast enough or riding in car.  Even when he wakes he squeaks not really cries ....so this was freaking me out with worry...

He finally settled after 1am (and I'm exhausted by this point) and he slept 2 hrs  and then woke for food...no crying (deep sigh) and back asleep.  I thought the worst was over.

By morning one look at him and I freaked.....and he was back to being fussy.  

What does any parent do?  Gets on Google and reads all the worst case scenarios.

I ran to call the dr and got him an appt that afternoon....(why do babies always need to see the Dr on Fridays?)

The minute the dr saw Cole she asked what I ate...haha...SEE IT WAS SOMETHING OTHER THAN BABY ACNE....

It hit me.....THE CASHEWS....Lily is allergic to cashews...all other nuts she's fine..
And it dawned on me that after I ate them on Wednesday was about the time I notice the rash moving over his whole body...

I FELT LIKE A HORRIBLE MOTHER...

She even called in other dr's in the office to look at him...(freak show) 

They told me to give him a 1/4 tsp of Benadryl  every 6 hrs and to call them over the weekend to tell them how it looked...

I rushed home with guilt and gave him his first dose...and then another before bed...He wasn't fussy Friday night....and I thought he would sleep for hrs and hrs b/c of the Benadryl....but nope up his usual 2 hrs...but went right back down and not fussy....

By morning He was his happy self...his skin looked tons better....and by Sunday He looked normal...even the baby face acne was gone...which made me wonder about all nuts...So on Saturday I quit ALL AND ANYTHING WITH NUTS...

Wanna see some pics? 

Shield your eyes...(bad mother alert)

310359_10151219567497079_446254090_n

Now we know....and now we know the joys of Benadryl too

I hate being scared as a mother...that helpless ...what can I do to make you better feeling...

I'm just thankful it was something easy to fix...sorry little man!

Comments

jen said…
Holy Crap! That would scare me to death. I'm so glad you figured it out. I don't think I would have thought of nuts that quickly.

Glad he's doing better.
My goodness that would terrify me! I'm glad he's okay and you figured it all out.
Caroline said…
Awwww...I hope he's feeling better!
Jessi said…
Aiden was allergic to dairy and had that SAME reaction! Scared me to death! He breastfed for 2 years so believe me, when he was weaned and I could have butter and milk and all that lovely dairy stuff, it was like Christmas! Poor babe. Glad he's healing!
Unknown said…
Oh yikes! So glad it was nothing too serious!
Meagan said…
Those darn kids. You would think you had seen everything by #6. They are tricky little things!
Oh my! I never would have thought of that! So glad he's all better now. :)
Amber said…
Oh my goodness, that would be so scary! I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Glad he's better :)
Unknown said…
oh sweetie don't be soo hard on yourself. We've been through this a time our two with one of our kids and it is heart-wrenching. I am so sorry you had to go through it but you figured it out and did the right thing. You are an amazing mommy and would do anything for your kids and they know that. I am so sorry you had to deal with this. Thinking and praying for you guys. Chin up momma your still an amazing momma
Oh gracious, that poor baby! Lainey had a terrible rash last night so I took her to the doctor today thinking it was an allergic reaction. It is just a virus rash though. However, thanks to this post, i will keep a close eye on it!
Stef said…
I would be freaking out too. And don't blame yourself. How are you supposed to know. Seriously. It could be a ton of things.
So glad he is doing better and sleeping...
Poor things.
Dana said…
So scary!! I hate feeling like that too!! And I had a mommy fail moment too with my lil girl, so don't feel too bad!!! You are a great mama! So glad you figured it out though!

Popular Posts