Reasons I Love Being a Mom

This list could go on for years but I'll keep it limited to School Time and Birthdays.

I totally adore being a SAHM. I knew from the time I was a little girl what I wanted to do. You see my mom stayed home and I loved knowing she was there waiting for me at the end of the day. There was comfort in knowing she was home for me. I know how blessed I am to stay home. Here is a short list of things I enjoy about being a MOM!!!

1. First day of school

2. Packing lunches

3. Birthday day

4. After school snacks


We'll start there....

First Day of School...
Well there is the "AWWW MOM DO I REALLY HAVE TO SMILE" picture. And then there is the after school 1st day treat...and special surprise. Ok...my daughter is the only one that benefits from the surprise anymore...(the boys are getting too old for it)

Here is what I put in her lunch for last year....
I took craft sticks, black construction, chalk, and markers and created this little BACK TO SCHOOL mini chalkboard for her! She totally loved it!!!!!

I'm still searching books for this years!
_________________________________________

Packing lunches...it's a chore at times...I know I DON'T have to do it, but I do. I feel it's my job as mom to do this small thing. Heck fire I stay home...why the heck shouldn't I? I usually have my system down pat. I pack everything the night before and it's waiting in the fridge. Oldest lunch in kitchen fridge and younger 2's lunches are in the laundry room fridge (no confusions there) Occasionally I like to plan different desserts to put in their lunches and I get giddy thinking about their faces when they go to lunch and find them.

There have been THOSE days when I've been so tired w/new baby or heck just mentally messed up that I have put the wrong sandwiches in kids lunches...ie middle child is the only one that likes mustard and turkey and oldest is ham and cheese and lo and behold some kid stares at his sandwich thinking mom is a freak yet again.

One thing that totally gets me excited is this fun non food treat I put in their sacks/bags....In Cooking Light they have a section each month called "10 Things to Know about...." I will run 2 extra copies off and each day but 1 fact about ....whatever. Some of the facts are stupid and some of the topics are dumb, but the kids still love them nonetheless! I have saved over 70 of them so far for school this year. That's 70 school days of facts haha

Here is an example of one.....
the kids totally adore this and look forward to the facts. A few times I have forgotten and they totally noticed! It's the small things you can do for them that count to brighten their day!

________________________________

Birthdays during school time are fun. I usually have something decorated waiting for them downstairs. If their birthday falls on a weekend I fail at this..haha....
Last year I printed out over 20 little chicken cartoon heads (oldest is obsessed w/chicken and rooster stuff) and I put then on craft sticks and hid them all over the house ...so when he woke up in the morning he found them at every turn. He loved wondering how many more he would find!

_________________________________

After school snacks...

Ok I try and do this once a week......I'll plan a yummy...whether it's carrots and ranchy...or Monkey Munch! I've got that on my list for the first day this year! I think I always have to double the recipe ...I think I like to eat it while it's cooling! haha

Prep Time:15 min
Start to Finish:15 min
Makes:18 servings (1/2 cup each)


Ingredients:
9 cups Chex® cereal (any variety)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar


Preparation Directions:
1. Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
2. In 1-quart microwavable bowl, stir together chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
3. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Stove-Top Directions: Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside. In 1-quart saucepan, heat chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

B said…
Puppy chow is one of my weaknesses. It is SO yummy!

And I think that it is so neat how you go all out for school. Reminds me a lot of how my Momma was when we were younger. She would make us heart shaped sandwiches and cook us big breakfasts for special school days. Love it :)
I Do Declare said…
You're a sweet mommy!
Unknown said…
cute!! My dream is to be a SAHM, too, and I'm happy and blessed I get to do so.
Shannon said…
Those are such sweet things to do...I'm sure your kids just adore you for it too! Were you ever a room mom? I would've loved to have you as a room mom for my class! You're very creative! Can't wait to see what you come up with for this year's first day!
Genesis said…
youre such a great and thoughtful mom. your kids are very lucky to have you :)
Katie said…
Hi Laura! I'm expecting my first baby in February and hoping to be a SAHM mom too- I love when people make the most out of it like you do!

Random question- we are considering cloth diapering and the choices are overwhelming. Which brand are your favorites?
Pamibelle said…
Adorable and great ideas for when my kid is older.
Very good list. I hope to be a sahm one day. Its a dream and I'm working on making it true.
Stef said…
I love this stuff.
ANd I have to say that you are such a great mom! Seriously. I read your blog and it always makes me want to do and be better! Thanks for being that for me!!
carissa said…
you get the mom of the year award. i hope i'm fun like you when it comes to packing their lunches. of course i can't bear to think about kindergarten just yet!
A style blog said…
I second the mom of the year award. You're so cute.
Shannon said…
For the first day of school lunch box idea, have you ever thought about putting a picture of them from the previous school years and saying how much they have changed? Or if you can find it, put a picture of yourself at that age. I know that I love seeing old pictures of my parents.
Miss Jody said…
What a great Mommy you are!
I love your ideas :)

Popular Posts