Spidey Mommy Senses

Dog Ears I tell ya

Mine not the dog... (remember I'm not an animal person)

Something happens when you get pregnant.  Your hearing and sense of smell is heightened.
(You also lose hair, but that's another post)

I think the smell was the first thing....I got pregnant with #1 and I could smell anything nasty (or yummy) in a 5 mile radius.

I think this only got worse with each kid ....here I am 6 kids later and I can smell a football team 4 counties over.

Seriously, I can be upstairs and before I make it downstairs I can smell if the dog took a poo on the floor.  Hubs doesn't know how I know this until we come down and boom there it is.  (again why I'm not an animal person)

This came in handy when Reid turned one of the knobs on the gas stove and the gas turned on....no pilot light or clicking sound to notify .....just my nose ...we were outside and I smelled it...No one else did.

The other thing would be my hearing.  I used to sleep like the dead.  It was nice...I could just fall asleep in any surrounding and stay that way for the remainder of the night.  A bomb could go off right under the house and I would never know it.

Now?  

I can hear footsteps on carpet 3 houses down.  

I can hear conversations on ppl's front porches when I'm in the back of my house upstairs in the bathroom.   (go figure)

It's quite annoying really.  

I have to have like 3 sound machines in my room when I sleep.  And even that doesn't work sometimes.  If there is so much a click of a noise my eyes spring open and I'm up

One day the guy down the street had a flood in his house.  He called the 24 hr flood ppl and I could hear that machine all night.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the noise was coming from.

At 3 am I was walking room to room trying to figure if it was coming from inside...I finally realized it wasn't.  I thankfully spotted where the noise was...By then I was wide awake and sat there mad.  I mean the poor guy had a flood, but I WAS NEEDING MY MOMMY SLEEP.

I will hear a noise and hubs will say I didn't hear anything.  I will tell him I did and we will have to find it.....He says I have dog ears. 

He also says I should just go to sleep and stay that way.  I wish it was that easy.

Another time we had a storm blow through.  Hubs swore that I heard it before it hit.  

I hear things in the attic and wall sometimes too...I tell hubs I swear there are ppl living in there and will make pings just to drive me insane.  He said probably!

This must be some sort of "Mommy Sense" that helps us Mommy's be on alert when our kids need us at night...You know that dreaded puking sound coming from their room?  Or when your child is standing over you while you sleep?  (scares the fire out of me)

I'm not complaining...really I'm not

I just sometimes wish my senses went on vacation so I could get some rest.

Comments

Amber said…
How exhausting! I am sure it's needed with all those kids though!
LeAnna said…
I totally get this! I have great interpretation skills in regards to what noises are, too. Well, great might be an exaggeration, but MOST of the time I can correctly determine the cause of strange noises. Ahem. Not very great when you keep hearing things outside...but man, I can predict a fruit snack wrapper being opened when it's not supposed to be. ;)
Waking up to a child standing over you scares me to death. It hasn't happened to me (yet), but the thought of it makes my skin crawl.
Stef said…
I am with you in the smelling department. But not so much with the hearing. That has got to be rough! Me, I am so bushed at night when my head hits the pillow I am out. ANd the only things that wake me up are my children and Hubs.

Popular Posts