Me and My Quirks

(disclaimer...I feel I should say...these are MY views below...if you don't agree or don't do some of these things...I'm not saying you're horrible...just telling you what I do....if you take it personal than the fault is within you....just saying) on a happier note....

I've had a lot of emails...comments about my "about me" section and I thought I would get to some "explainin"

The God fearing woman and Aggie wife need no explanations...whoop

breastfeeding, baby wearing, midwife using, natural birthing, cloth diaper lover, non vax'n and now cosleeping....homeschooling ....(to name a few)

Breastfeeding....

I'm pretty much using what God gave me....no bottles to wash...no formula to mix....nothing to buy....(well except some fun nursing tanks and shirts) and comes straight from the valve already heated up to perfections....portable too

I know most say they've had issues...etc...I've had pretty much everything that could go wrong go wrong...but I know how it is supposed to feel when it's right. It's what works for me....I want my kids to get enough of the 'good stuff' in them to build antibodies. I understand nursing isn't for everyone...I'm just saying what works for me. (Did I say that twice?)

I've been nursing now for over 3 yrs straight. I nursed Lily through my pregnancy with Dude. I weaned her a few months after he was born b/c I couldn't keep up with both. I assume either Dude will wean himself in a few years....or I'll wean him around the same age as his sister. There is something about cradling that sweet bundle in my arms and watching them suck away....knowing that I'm their comfort right now....My motto...? A little booboo can solve anything (grins)

Baby Wearing...

My babies love love love being held....We, as mom's, don't always have extra hands for carrying babes and still doing our "chores". I don't know where I would be w/o my wraps, slings, side holders. Reid has been worn since the minute he popped out.....I find him the happiest when strapped to me. Who doesn't love having a happy baby on your hip/chest to snuggle and inhale (who doesn't love some baby fresh scents?) Trust me .....they won't always want to be strapped and by your side forever...take advantage of it while you can. Besides it frees up the buggy cart at the grocery store when you have multiple kids with you....

Midwife Using...

Again...what works for me....I had a HORRIBLE experience w/the epidural with my first. I had pain and numbness for 6-8 months on one side after the birth. Did I mention it was HORRIBLE? I also had horrible hospital experiences. I find it soo hard to labor naturally strapped to a bed....doing labor on a dr's time and not your own. I can't not say enough incredible things about my experience using a Midwife...and Birthing Center. I think society has such a stigma on midwives? Not sure why...but the way I look at it...Midwives have been around a lot longer than dr's and hospitals...I'm a wimp when it comes to pain...but with the right support anything is possible. If a woman needs to walk...crawl...rock...sing...dance...swim...eat...moan....yell....sleep (as if) ..then she should do whatever it takes to work with the pain and have her baby. Hospitals stick you in a bed strapped with monitors....AIN'T NATURAL I TELL YA. For those wondering....Netflix has a movie on instant called "Business of Being Born" give it a look and then tell me what you think.

Cloth Diapering....(with Lily)

Before ya git ter thinkin that i got me some green in me.....think again. (grins) I did cloth diapers to 1. save $$$ 2. because they were so stinking (pun alert) cute. But I think I spent more $ buying all the cute ones and more time on laundry than anything. I forgot that I would have 4 kids (reid wasn't around yet) and 2 adults to do the washing for. I found them super easy...super convenient and super fun though. I would totally recommend them for those that don't have large families. Then again...maybe laundry is your thing. I HATE IT AND HUBS KNOWS. (poor him) Yes, I've been know to have to restart the laundry multiple times b/c it's been forgotten in the washer. The kids had to start doing their own last year...Momma was tired of it. It made life so much easier...not to mention they need to learn sometime right?

Non Vaccinating...

I really don't have enough pages in the blog to get started on this one. Besides I'm not here to beat ppl down with what you want injected in your children...they are your kids not mine. I don't expect ppl to tell me what to do with my lil punkins. I'm lucky to have a pediatrician that believes in selective vax'n. Spacing those little suckers out....One day hubs and I just started scratching our heads and wondering why does Big Brother push so hard these shots on our kids...unnecessary ones and so many at once. A babies brain does the most growing in the first 2 yrs. Why not let that little one grow a bit before we inject some toxins in them. Again...personal decisions. But google what's in those vaccines and tell me what you think about injecting those in your little 7-8lb baby at birth. We see our chiropractor for wellness check ups and for when we are sicky. In fact yesterday I took Lily and Dude b/c they got some runny noses....I also use homeopathic stuff to treat things too....I load my kids on Vit D and Briar Rose and Lithy Tree. I usually forget the Briar Rose until a runny nose happens...boo

CO SLEEPING...

I was never a fan. I could never understand THOSE parents. I mean this is your bed...that is their bed...the 2 don't mix. Besides I like my space...and I like having my hubs all to myself. THAT IS UNTIL A LILY HAPPENED. She never slept and nursed all the time. Finally at 11 months I threw my hands up and put her in my bed and guess what? SHE SLEPT ALL NIGHT...(ok well all night meaning she would roll over to nurse) but it was the first time in 11 months that I slept peacefully. And so a co sleeper was born. She is still in our bed...and in fact we have the largest bed in history. Hubs built a platform the height of our king size bed...and put a full size mattress on it. So we have a full/king combined. Bring it on co-sleepers! (side note....reid sleeps great in his bed for now...and for now that's where he stays...)

Homeschooling...

Why can't a parent be in control of their child's education? I don't really care for all the material they are teaching the big kids in school. I feel like I have to "reprogram" them at home. I won't get started, but the Civil War wasn't fought over slavery....I am so tired of the 'books' telling my child this. I'm not a fan of Abe Lincoln either...but again this isn't to smack people down but to explain my views on raising MY family. I think growing up I just accepted what they taught me in school as "right" and never realized there were 2 sides to everything. It's a lifestyle choice to choose to educate your children at home. Don't get me wrong....I love me some teachers. I believe there are so many out there that have a gift for teaching students. (Aunt Kerbi) and some that should just stay home.. You can just see it in their eyes that they lost the spark ...part being that they spend so much time being a parent and having to stop lessons to discipline children that the teaching gets rushed. Besides...you know me...ms social butterfly....I can't wait for homeschooling groups.

So now you know....still wanna be my friend?



Comments

Brad said…
I love this post, Laura. Brave, brave, brave.
Although I don't agree with you on all of these things, I love that you own what you know is right for your family. Stay strong!
As for home schooling, how do you do this? When do you start, and how do you teach every subject your kids need? What are their college plans? I know a few homeschooled families in our area, and their kids started college a year early. I'd be interested in a little more info on this one.
And yes, still your friend. Still a follower, and still loving you!
jen said…
Okay, that may have been a little creepy, since my hubby was signed in on this computer. It's me. Not as creepy now?
Joanne said…
I am so with you on the nursing thig... in fact I have a post rolling around in my head about it that I've been meaning to write out.

I'm meh on the cloth diapers (HATE laundry), and a big NO on the co-sleeping. I need my space! But I totally undersatnd why you did it with Lily. Fred is away right now, so I brough Elise into my bed during the storm because she was so scared. Unfortunately, I didn't get a wink of sleep!

I did a lot of studying on the vaccine thing, and decided to go ahead and do it, but on a very delayed schedule. I'm glad I did now with Elise because some of those illnesses that are a "pain" for some people, could be deadly to Elise.

I like your disclaimer... You do what you do, I do what I do, and don't get freaked out about other people's stuff.

Sorry for the novel...
LeAnna said…
I lurvs you. And while I agree with most everything you said, I would still love you even if I didn't. ;) Whatever floats your boat and doesn't sink mine. That's my motto . ;) As Mom's and Dad's we do what's best for our family. We do them is a disservice if we take the "professionals" word and don't do our research. Period.
I'll still be your friend! ;)

Speaking of homeschooling groups...Peter and Lily will be in the same grade I think, right? We should totally get together since we'll also have "poorly socialized", "freaky" homeschooled children ;)
Lori said…
love this post! a few points we will have to agree to disagree, but it's what makes the world go round. some of my closest friends are passionate about some points that i am on the opposite end of the spectrum and we still love each other nonetheless :)
Anonymous said…
Seriously, Laura, you are the mother I strive to someday be. I am totally all-in for midwives, at home births, breast feeding, selective vax'n and home schooling. You are a powerful, ambitious, and dedicated woman! I truly admire the woman, wife and mother you are!!
Kelli said…
I love you, sorry is that a little stalkerish, my Lyla and Reid were born on the same day:) I totally agree that do what works best for your family!
lisat said…
Laura, what homeschool curriculum are you using or are you piecing it together on your own? Are you homeschooling all your children or just Lily?
carissa said…
we're pretty much opposites. : ) but i think everyone has different experiences that leads to decisions they make. i believe God has different plans for each family. otherwise the world would be boring, right?!
Amanda said…
I still LOVE this blog!!! Its like my home away from home you make raising 5 kids and running your home sound fun and EASY(oh my).
Amanda said…
Totally love and respect this post. I think that's part of what makes people so dang nuts these days is they can't just respect each other's opinions. Those are YOUR kids, and you only want what you think is best for them. If someone else doesnt agree... who cares!
Jessi said…
I happen to love this post and want to be your friend even more :) I don't agree with everything you believe but we do agree on SO much. You? Rock!
Neely said…
Aunt Neely is a teacher too missy! You know I love you even if we dont agree on EVERYTHING. I think you rock the world and you are smart and awesome momma! Your kiddos are happy and healthy and fantastic and I hope to be half the mother you are....mushy hugs
Ashleigh said…
Found your blog through Neely's blog-- this is a really brave post! always good to hear different points of view regarding kiddos. I have a 16 month old- u and I are very different, but I believe that both perespectives are important!
Amber said…
I still love you Laura! I think you're a fantastic mommy and I love that you put your views all out here for everyone! :)

Popular Posts