" I'm Not Eating A Bird in a Cake "

My inlaws come over every Wednesday and I made a nice meal and a different (or try) dessert every week
Unless someone has mentioned a favorite, it's someone's bday, or I just plum wasn't creative.

My mother in law a few times has mentioned a Hummingbird Cake and I knew I had a recipe that would please

A few years ago I was walking into Walmart and someone was handing out Southern Living small cookbooks.  Who am I to pass up free cookbooks....and SOUTHERN LIVING IS MY FAVORITE.

This recipe book is by far the most amazing one yet.  It's all desserts and frosting recipes in back.  NOT ONE RECIPE HAS FAILED ME.

This is where I make the majority of my sweets from...

I remembered I had seen an Updated Hummingbird Cake and boom  knew I had to make it for my GiGi

One of my kids asked what dessert we were having and I said Hummingbird Cake
The response was less than desirable.  I reminded them it was just a name and had fruit not the bird in it....(jeepers)

No idea behind the name of the cake and the lady who started the name (if that story is true) back in the 70's didn't give a reason.  Some speculate...

►This cake is so yummy that it makes you HUM with delight, or happiness when you anticipate having a slice
►Hummingbirds drink nectar from flowers and this cake is just a sweet as a flower's nectar
►Hummingbirds themselves are associated with the lighthearted and sweet side of life, hence the name of this cake
►When the cake is served, people hover around it the way hummingbirds hover around nectar bearing flowers
►Although a cake made for people, it is a cake sweet enough to attract even hummingbirds
►Bananas and pineapples come from the tropics, and the national bird of Jamaica is a hummingbird...could this be how it got its name?
So pick the theory that makes the most sense to you, or embrace all of them as having a role in how Hummingbird Cake got its name.

Well whatever the reason...this recipe was divine

I say this is an updated version because this one does not have pecans and instead of plain cream cheese frosting it has a Lemon Cream Cheese frosting! 

My oldest child has asked me to make this and only this from now on..... It was that fantastic

Updated Hummingbird Cake
(photo and recipe Southern Living)



Hummingbird Cake
  • 3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cup(s) sugar
  • 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon(s) ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 can(s) (8-ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 3/4 cup(s) (about 5 to 6 bananas) mashed ripe banana
  • 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
  • Chopped walnuts, for garnish
5-Cup Lemon-Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 2 package(s) (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup(s) butter, softened
  • 1 package(s) (32 ounces) powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoon(s) lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice




  1. Prepare the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together eggs and next 5 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not beat.) Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
  2. Bake at 350 degrees F for 23 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely (about 1 hour).
  3. Prepare the frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until fluffy. Beat in lemon juice and
    zest. Stir in vanilla.
  4. Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with walnuts, if desired.






Comments

TerinAleah said…
Mmm, I love Hummingbird cake, though I've never made it myself! I think it's a Southern thing! ;)
Stef said…
That looks so yummy! Kids. Too funny.

Popular Posts