1930's Old Classic



The can is always easier.  I mean you open it and pour it in and it does what it needs....but

IT'S FROM A CAN.....

"Campbell Soup Company created this American idol in 1934, introducing Continental cooking to resourceful Depression era wives and mothers. In just four minutes anyone could enjoy the concentrated essence of French cuisine for only 12 cents.   The soup base became a wartime hero"

Southern Living Jan 2014 issue had some recipes that used Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup.  I'm a huge HATER of mushrooms, but love using these can thingys in recipes.  (I know weird right?)
They look weird, smell weird, feel weird...and honestly not a fan of them by themselves.  I get all shakey thinking about biting into one. 

I've never bought them...and if a recipe calls for them I always OMIT!

But give me a recipe with a can of cream of mushroom soup?  and I'm all over it!  (don't judge)

That is until Southern Living posted their recipe for it and 2 casseroles using the homemade version...
I was sold

I bought  my first boxes of Mushrooms yesterday.  I'm like now what?  I've seen people on television blot them with wet paper towels....I mean how do I clean them?

Here is the divine recipe.  Now most recipes I researched did NOT have a package of cream cheese in it.  But I personally like the flavor cream cheese gives my recipes.  Our favorite Baked Potato Soup has it in it....and bam

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup




1/2 cup of butter divided
3 8oz packages fresh mushrooms chopped
1/3 cup of all purpose flour
2 cups whipping cream
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened 
2 1oz containers of home style concentrated chicken stock (knorr brand)

1. Melt 3 tbsp butter in a dutch oven over medium high heat; add mushrooms and saute 10-12 mins or until liquid evaporates.  Transfer to a bowl

2. Reduce heat to medium. Melt remaining 5 tbsp butter in dutch oven.  Whisk in flour until smooth, 1 min.  Gradually whisk in cream and next 2 ingredients.  Cook whisking constantly, 2 mins or until melted and smooth.  Remove from heat; stir in mushrooms.  Use immediately, or cool completely.  Freeze in 1 1/4 cup portions in plastic freezer bags.  Thaw before using.

Which leads me to this Old Classic recipe

Chicken and Poppy Seed Casserole

Preheat oven to 350.  Stir together 2 1/2 cups Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, 5 cups of chopped deli roasted chicken, 1 16oz container of sour cream, and 1 tbsp of poppy seeds.  
Spoon into lightly greasted 11x7 baking dish.  Stir together 1/4 cup melted butter, and 18 buttery round crackers, crushed.  Sprinkle over casserole and bake 35-40 mins or until bubbly.  
Let stand 5 mins before serving

Serve with Wild Rice and Broccoli

Now I can't say I will always make homemade but if I double this recipe and freeze them in 1 1/4 cup portions (which is equal to about a can of the Campbell's stuff) then I will be one happy camper!


Comments

Ok, I have to completely scroll through your recipes without reading because I'm doing a paleo challenge and I don't even need that temptation! ;) But can I just say how much I love old advertisements! They are one of my favorite things to read. *Maybe I can revisit this post after my 30 days...haha!
Katie said…
This is a great recipe- I'm going to look for a cream of chicken recipe too...then I'll feel less guilty about using the cans in the many casseroles that I adore ;)

Popular Posts