I'm Bringing Soupy Back

I've probably tried 10+ recipes for Tomato Basil Soup and each time I think I'm getting close 

Well I'm finally there!  I found one.  I found one that I want to make again and again. 
Like so much so I wanted to scrap the entire menu for the week and just make this with different crusty sandwiches every single day

Alterations  I made?  Milk.....  I added 1/3 heavy cream and the rest milk which made this divine

I also did a stick of butter instead of the oil when sauteing the onions.  (granted I doubled this recipe so use half a stick if you are doing the recipe as is)

The Asiago Toast made this a simple easy dipping friend

(Cooking Light March 2012)

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
  • 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation

Heat olive oil (I used butter) in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes.   (notice all my stove knobs stacked there?  Some child (#6), takes them off or turns the burner pilot on...ugh)



Stir in garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add basil and tomatoes; bring to a boil.  (right here I was sold)



Stir in cheese until melted. 



Place mixture in blender, and blend until smooth.   (I used immersion blender)



Return to pan; stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Return to medium-high; cook 2 minutes.

 

Now here is the crazy part (not really)...I don't do light stuff...I do the full strength.  So if you are the lightened version person go for it.  I have read too many articles about what they have to add to things to make them fat free or light etc.  I'll just stick with full fat. 

For the little toasty toasts, next time I will use garlic butter and spread that on after I broil the toast...flip and then continue sprinkling with the cheese.  The kids would like double the toast.  8 people eating the small amount I made had people fighting.  
And Momma can't have that!

Comments

The Herd said…
definitely saving this one!
jen said…
Can I come over for leftovers this week?

Popular Posts