Another "Get in mah belly" Dinner For You

I had a few new recipes this week.

Taco Meatloaf  (fail) I should have known it was going to be bad because the first day it was on the menu board I had left out a key ingredient.  I put it back on the menu for a few days later and guess what?  I had forgotten to double one of the ingredients and it was lacking....so before I ever made this recipe I hated it.

Which should have told me something

I felt it was mush.  Too much liquids and not enough dry.  I altered it, but still it was lacking flavor.  It was sort of like a pile of mush

anywho....I redeemed myself

Thursdays Menu was Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole




1. We love chicken around here
2. We love wild rice....like we are all freaks for it
3. We love the 2 together
4. Momma likes casseroles

But this was delicious.  I doubled the recipe (of course) and then kids went in for 3rds.  Even Cole ate most of mine from my plate.  I was afraid by the time hubs was able to eat dinner there wouldn't be any left.  I'm def making this again 

My changes were in red.  I didn't have many

Ingredients
1 6 ounce package long grain and wild rice mix (I use the 5m kind)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons butter
1 10 1/2 ounce can condensed chicken with white and wild rice soup or cream of chicken soup (I did both)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
2 cups shredded cooked chicken or turkey
1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (I probably added about 1 cup if not more)

Directions
  1. Prepare rice mix according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet, cook onion and celery in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in soup, sour cream, wine, and basil. Stir in cooked rice and chicken.
  3. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 35 minutes or until heated through. Makes 4 servings.



    I can't say enough about all the flavors together.   I added a can of each soup to the mix since I doubled recipe and thought it was a perfect balance.  There isn't anything I would change.  Pair this with a salad and a side of roasted broccoli...Meal Complete

Comments

Popular Posts