What Pinterest Made Me Do Instead of Clean

Yesterday after all my complaining about how busy my days are...

#5 and #6 took a nap at the same time....#5 slept 2 hrs and #6 4hrs

HELLO GOODNESS

So what does any good mommy do?  Laundry? Prep dinner? Clean house?

Nope she crafts.  (blame pinterest)

I have been wanting to do one of those block crafts for ages.  On Sunday I had hubs cut me some wood from the scrap pile.
Then realized I needed white paint...my sweet neighbor next door loaned me some...and since she loaned me some I decided to make her a wood block too (hence the B block) 

IMG_7026

It didn't turn out perfect...but enough so that the imperfections didn't matter...

I got some blocks and sanded the edges and any rough parts

1

Then I painted just the fronts...(or wherever I wanted the letter to show through)

2

Then I used my favorite tool...my Cricut and cut out vinyl letters to stick to block...

3

Then painted entire blocks black...

I was hugely impatient between drying the paint and sticking letters...  I had no idea how long babies would sleep... that I stood over blocks with a magazine fanning them to dry.  Yes, I'm sure I was a sight. 

I had a feeling I'd be in the middle of painting and a baby would wake.  I mean when do I get a whole 1 or 2 or 4 hrs to do a project uninterrupted?

4

You can see after I peeled them up that they bleed a little

5

 ....but that gave  me another idea....I took some of my walnut stain and wiped it over the white and rubbed off quickly for an aged look.

Then I sanded the edges again for a worn appeal....I think they turned out cute.

More so that I quickly made myself one for my new pantry door I painted black a few weeks ago (pinterest made me)

This board was pretty thin....I took some  extra burlap and stapled it to the back of the board....

Then I used those 3m Velcro tabs for hanging light pictures and stuck it to my pantry...I didn't want the letter banging on the pantry door every time  a kid opened and closed it...and thought a nail in the door would get me in trouble...Those 3M velcro can hold up to 15lbs on the large tabs!  Volia

IMG_5664

I think I'll make a handful for the ladies in my family for Christmas gifts this year!  It was a fun project and I think they will like them.

Comments

LeAnna said…
How fun and easy is that?! Those cricut machines sound so great!
Dianna said…
You should have been taking a nap! But those blocks are definitely a cute alternative!
Caroline said…
I want your energy!
Anna said…
Seriously. You impress me to no end...I don't know how you do it!
Make me one, too :) Haha!
Very cute!! Dang that Pinterest! ;)
I'm gonna have to trace the letters instead of cricut-ing them, but OH!! My girls at church would love this project!
Anonymous said…
Those turned out super cute! I wish I had a cricut machine (:

Popular Posts