What's Inside the Pregnant Belly Tonight

When you have a big family you need to constantly be thinking of the next meal....b/c goodness knows if you don't....a ton of little mouths will be....and hey....it's my job!

My weekly menu gets planned usually the day before I go shopping....and it gets changed again and again. 
Oh the joys of a pregnant belly.  One minute it sounds divine...the next I can't even think about it!

As most of you know....Wednesday is the dinner with the In laws....that's the meal that gets 'good' food as my kids call it and a dessert!  I try to tell myself that I CAN have sweets just on Wednesday only...(yesterday I did sneak in some Coconut Fudge Bluebell Ice Cream....mmmm it's sooo good) 
I'm addicted to coconut lately (sorry Neely) There is something about that sweet coconutty goodness that I can't quit dreaming about.

I pulled out another Southern Living recipe March 2011....(photo and recipe via Southern Living)

lemon-coconut-poundcake-l

Lemon-Coconut Pound Cake Loaf

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened 
  • 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs 
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup sour cream 
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest 
  • 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
  • Lemon Glaze

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
  2. Stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in lemon zest and 1/2 cup coconut. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
  3. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
  4. Spoon Lemon Glaze over cake, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup coconut, divided 
Now on to dinner??  photo is Ree's from her site

3190843697_c29288cfc0_o

Gonna go with Beef....my men want beef....

So off to The Pioneer Woman's recipe for her Steak Bites...and then some mashed potatoes and green beans....and of course...a meat and potatoes meal isn't complete without rolls!

Ingredients

  • 1 pound Sirloin Steak (without Much Gristle) Or Pre-cut Beef Tips
  • Kosher Salt To Taste
  • Fresh Ground Black Pepper To Taste
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter

Preparation Instructions

Trim off the large obvious piece of fat that runs along the side of the meat. Next, cut strips less than 1-inch wide. Rotate the meat and cut into small bite-sized pieces. If you see any more large chunks of fat, gristle or long silvery membrane, cut them off.
Sprinkle generously with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss the meat around a bit to thoroughly coat with the seasonings.
Next, turn on your ventilation fan overhead. Heat the skillet over medium high to high heat. As the pan heats, add about 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet. Allow the butter to melt, then brown, before you add the meat.
Place some of the meat in the pan in a single layer. It should sizzle loudly when it hits the pan – if it doesn’t, the pan isn’t hot enough. Don’t stir or disrupt the meat for 30-45 seconds. You want it to sizzle and brown on one side. Scoop as many steak bites as you can with your spatula and flip them over. Repeat until all the meat is turned. Cook for an additional 30 to 45 seconds—just long enough to sear the outside of the meat but NOT cook the inside.
Remove the meat to a clean plate. Add a little more butter to the pan and repeat the cooking process with the next batch just as before. Lastly, when all the meat is nicely browned and removed to the plate, pour all that browned/blackened butter all over the meat. And enjoy!

You don't even want to know how many lbs of beef I bought....I swear my boys can eat 2lbs a piece....oldest is over 6' and seriously weighs 137.....I think when he eats it goes straight out his legs....I always tell him I can give him some padding....he just looks at me like I'm gross....I wish I had to eat to keep weight on like him.....

The weather yesterday was incredible...it was cool and breezy and overcast.  They kept threatening rain and thunderstorms....I guess our sky didn't get the memo to let loose!

While cooking I watch the kids play in the backyard....I noticed Reid slipped off and saw his little head over by the fence....He was still there a few mins later....and a few mins later....I thought what on earth is he looking at....

Hubs had been watering a plant that he was trying to revive and forgot to turn the hose off....Reid found it and was enjoying himself.

I couldn't help but snap a few pics of his expression

IMG_3207

IMG_3222

IMG_3211

IMG_3208  


By the end this tiny puddle was a mud fest!!!



Comments

Neely said…
I bet that was a fun mess. Cant wait to see you tomorrow!
Caroline said…
hehe! I'm sending Fred over for dinner tonight.
Okay, now Im starving! That looks so good. Your kids are precious!
http://ashleykisslinger.com/
LeAnna said…
I'm with ya on the coconut bandwagon. Love it! Love that last picture, too. Where there are boys, there is mud!
wow that pound cake looks AMAZING!

sometimes when i see a puddle like that i wish i was a kid again so that i could jump and play in it! :)

Popular Posts