Whatcha Making Wednesday

Today I've got 2 Coconut Cream Pies chilling in the fridge.
Thank you Southern Living (again...see pattern here?)

(photo from Southern Living)
coconut-cream-pie-l

  • 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts (2)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 4 egg yolks 
  • 3 tablespoons butter 
  • 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • Garnish: toasted coconut

Preparation

  1. Fit 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork. Bake according to package directions for a one-crust pie.
  2. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Whisk together half-and-half and egg yolks. Gradually whisk egg mixture into sugar mixture; bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat.
  3. Stir in butter, 1 cup coconut, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, placing plastic wrap directly on filling in pan; let stand 30 minutes. Spoon custard mixture into prepared crust, cover and chill 30 minutes or until set.
  4. Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, beating until soft peaks form. Spread or pipe whipped cream over pie filling. Garnish, if desired.
But what's your dinner you ask?  (I could always start and end with dessert)
 Did you happen to see the cover of the Family Circle May 2012 issue?
Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwiches
(photo from Family Circle)

Pulled-Pork-Sandwiches

Ingredients:
PORK:
One 3 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast, skin removed & trimmed
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons canola oil
SAUCE:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small onion, diced
1 cup vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
8 seedless sandwich buns
SLAW:
3/4 cup light mayonnaise
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
One 1-pound bag deli shredded coleslaw mix
Instructions:
1.  Prepare the pork:  Rub the pork all over with seasoned salt and paprika.  Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Brown the pork on all sides, about 12 minutes.
2.  Prepare the sauce:  Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-heat.  Add the onion and cook 5 minutes.  Stir in the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar and mustard.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
3.  Transfer the pork to your slow cooker and pour the sauce on top.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
4.  Prepare the coleslaw:  In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, celery salt and pepper.  Stir in the coleslaw mix.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.
5.  Remove the pork from the slow cooker, place it on a cutting board and let it cool for a few minutes.  With 2 forks (or with clean hands), shred the meat, discarding any fat or bones.  Add the shredded meat back to the sauce in the slow cooker.  Divide the meat evenly among the sandwich buns, topping with coleslaw, if desired.

The sauce was making my mouth water as I was cooking it.  I can't wait to dig into these bad boys tonight.  I bought adult buns and sliders for the kids.  I realized Mini Me and Lily like to eat things in miniature form.  Works for me.

Back on Monday the kids requested the Suadero Tacos again...(fine by me...they rock...have you made them yet?)  I could do street tacos everyday!  
This time I added a side of Mexican Rice.  I've searched and asked people for their favorite Mexican Rice recipe and none have been the one.  Well enter Ree's new cookbook...

IMG_3200

Did I mention my mom got me one for my birthday?  Did I mention it's signed?  woohoo

IMG_3202

 Would have been more fun if it was me meeting her but.....

Anywho....I made her Mexican Rice and I have to admit I think I've found a front runner!

I liked her directions for it from her blog vs the book...the cookbook always shortens things or combines steps...I like slow steps...

So stop here ....for her

Mexican Rice on her blog for recipe and details!


here's a photo of the after....mmm


8

Dont'cha love the picture of her dog on the open page? 

So what's on your menu for tonight?

Comments

Jennifer said…
We are having shrimp and grits that I found the recipe for from here: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dinner/shrimp-and-grits.html
They are delicious!

And I love all the recipes you post on your blog. I have found so many ones that are now a staple in our house. So thanks!
jen said…
I wish I loved cooking the way you do. Wish I even liked it.
My kingdom for a slice of that pie!
Neely said…
im deathly allergic to coconut so I'd die
those pulled pork sandwiches look delicious! and the fact that they're made in the crock pot makes look even better! enjoy!
Stef said…
I wish I had one of your cream pies chillin' in my fridge. Actually in my tummy, but whatever. I have been so absent lately. So sorry. How are you and babes? Glad to be back. (I hope)
Dianna said…
Had did the pulled pork turn out? I have a recipe that I like and am making for Cooper's birthday but I wondered if this is worth trying!
You need to buy our Junior League cookbook, it's amazing!
Anonymous said…
Yum! Dessert and dinner look positively scrumptious, let me know when you are ready for company ;)
That cookbook looks too fun! I love that picture of her dog in the glasses. I am tempted to grab a copy!
LeAnna said…
That coconut cream pie recipe looks so similar to my Hubby's Mema's. Good stuff, right there! And oh my goodness, those pork sammies look so gooooood! I'm making pimento cheese this weekend, and hopefully will have a blog post on it for ya. You know, so you can make ALL of your mans dreams come true. ;)
carissa said…
jealous of your signed cookbook! what a treat. i must have it soon!!!

Popular Posts