Chipotle Spicy Chicken Sandwiches...

2

I find most of my recipes from magazines.  I sometimes have stacks and will just rip pages out of food....sometimes it's years later before I get to that stack (and kicking myself when I do)  Turns out I was on time this month and found Guy Fieri's recipe in BHG in the June 2012 issue.  

I thought it would be good......I just didn't know it would rock my socks off....and the kids.

So run to the store and buy yourself some buns and chicken...most of everything else you will have on hand (if you cook a lot)

I did alter the recipe since I didn't want to search high and low for a certain spice.....and the chicken still rocked.....so it's up to you if you use it......

Guy Fieri's Grilled Chicken Tortas with Chipotle Crema

Ingredients

  • 2 ounces achiote paste (ground annatto seed)  THIS IS WHAT I OMITTED
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 lb.)
  • 1 recipe Chipotle Crema (I doubled)
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
  • 1 1/2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
  • 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
  • 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese or queso fresco
Directions
1. Break up achiote. Combine with garlic, 1 Tbsp. of the lime juice, paprika, cumin, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and kosher salt. Thinly slice chicken horizontally. Mix with garlic-lime mixture to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Prepare Chipotle Creme. 

2. Chipotle Crema In a bowl mix 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 Tbsp. sauce from a container of chipotles in adobo sauce, 1 tsp. lime juice, and 1/2 tsp. honey. Season with kosher salt.  (FOR THE CREMA I JUST TOOK ABOUT 3 CHILES AND CHOPPED THOSE UP FROM THE CAN PRETTY FINE AND MIXED THOSE WITH THE SOUR CREAM AND LIME JUICE AND HONEY AND SALT.  Does have heat so test before adding more or less)

3. For chicken, heat grill to high. Using tongs, wipe grill with an oil-blotted paper towel. Grill chicken 3 to 4 minutes per side until well-marked. Transfer to a plate. Drizzle remaining lime juice on chicken. Drizzle cut sides of buns with olive oil. Grill for 1 minute. Turn; grill 30 seconds. Slather buns with Chipotle Crema. Layer bottom bun, grilled chicken, tomato, onion, lettuce, avocado, cheese, and top bun. (I cooked my chicken on the stovetop....I didn't feel like getting grill out)

1

I had the platter of chicken out with all the sides for adding to their sandwich set out too....The crema made the sandwich along with the Queso Fresco!!!  

This took no time to throw together.....and the kids rushed to the kitchen when they smelled the chicken cooking begging to start.....I'd say we have a winner

3



Comments

Neely said…
Whats one more person at the dinner table?
jen said…
You're right. I haven't even taken my issue out of the plastic yet--school's over in less than two weeks. But I'm so trying this one.
Sorry m day was stinky for you. Some years are just like that I think.
LeAnna said…
That looks wonderful! I'm a wimp when it comes to heat, so I'd probably have to cut the chipotle down. I love the idea of the lime juice and honey helping to tame it, though!
Angie said…
I want this too. I'm just gonna come live at your house...MmmmKay!!!

Popular Posts