Must Make Meal....

I'm eating pie with my coffee....no judging.
You know if you had some coconut cream pie leftover in your house too you'd sneak in a small sliver while the kids were at school.  If not....YOU WOULDN'T GET A PIECE.

(back to blog)

Last night was dinner with the In Laws....what I make?

3



Both of which had me (and yes I was the one that cooked these) ohhh and ahhhh'ing with happiness.  Quite embarrassing really....(not)

I didn't find a thing I didn't like...all things can be improved though...

The girl who blogged about the chicken has a much better photo than mine...she actually cut into hers....I was too much in a hurry to eat...(seriously...when pregnant with a houseful of ppl...you'd better hurry and eat)  Or maybe it is I just forgot!  (scratches head and looks around)

Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups (1 medium) zucchini, shredded
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Romano cheese (or parmesan)
  • 3 oz part skim shredded mozzarella
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 thin chicken cutlets, 3 oz each
  • 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1 lemon, juice of
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and fresh pepper
  • olive oil non-stick spray 

Directions:

Wash and dry cutlets, season with salt and pepper.  Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.

In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add oil when hot then saute garlic a minute, or until golden. Add zucchini, 1/4 cup Romano cheese, salt and pepper and saute about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool. When cool, add mozzarella cheese and mix to combine.

Lay chicken cutlets down on a working surface and spread 3 tbsp of zucchini-cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.

Combine breadcrumbs and grated cheese in one bowl; in a second bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper in another bowl.

Dip chicken in lemon-oil mixture, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down in a baking dish (no toothpicks needed). Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spraywith oil spray.

Bake 25 - 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

I may or may not have snuck a half of some of the chicken for today's lunch

The lemon-oil mixture I think helps bring out the flavor .....great addition!
The kids actually ate zucchini ...(they say they hate it)  You mix anything with Parm/Mozz cheese and you have a winner!!

As for the corn.  My mouth was watering before I spooned a bite in.

This is from Southern Living November 2011.  If you don't subscribe you really must....I have been for over 16 yrs and I have never ever been disappointed.  In fact...I felt excited b/c for a handful of months my cousin was an intern for them taking photos.  One issue she was sitting in some chairs in the background during a 'photo' set up for an outdoor woods party they did. 

(sorry ....I got off track)

Again I followed the recipe to a T and didn't feel like I should change a THING....ok maybe add some chopped sauteed jalapenos ....but not everyone likes a kick in their corn.....

Fried Confetti Corn
  • 8 bacon slices
  • 6 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (about 8 ears)
  • 1 cup diced sweet onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, cubed
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

Preparation

  1. 1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Coarsely crumble bacon.
  2. 2. Saute corn and next 3 ingredients in hot drippings in skillet over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until tender. Add cream cheese and half-and-half, stirring until cream cheese melts. Stir in sugar and next 2 ingredients. Transfer to a serving dish, and top with bacon.
 As for dessert?  I was craving Coconut again (sorry again Neely)

I felt I was justified in eating it (and now)  b/c for the past 2 days I have been walking with a buddy.
Thanks to this fb garage site I met a neighbor who has 3 kids.  She wanted to find someone to walk with early in the mornings before it gets hot.  I have been dying to go walking ...more fun with a partner.  Makes walking 3+ miles much more enjoyable with someone to TALK THEIR EAR OFF chat with!  We're gonna try and keep the fast pace until I can't move anymore.  This is just what I needed hopefully to keep my swelling mild.  (haha yeah right)

I'm glad I've found a new friend....


Comments

LeAnna said…
Oh my word,that corn looks amazing. I need to make it. And I need to subscribe to Southern Living.
YAY for walking partners! My neighbor gets out of school (she's a teacher) this week, so we're going to hit the trail next week. It's so much more fun to walk with a friend, for sure!
Caroline said…
Next Wednesday, I'm coming for dinner!
Stef said…
Sheesh! That sounded so good.
And it is always easier to exercise with a partner. Harder to find an excuse not to go.

Popular Posts