Gender Reveal to the Kids and GIDDY UP

(First Aggie Photo)


I want to say a huge thanks to all the well wishes on baby boy!! We are shocked and thrilled and couldn't wait to share the news!

The kids were all assuming a girl...so I knew when they found out they would be shocked themselves.

I decided to bake a checkerboard cake. I haven't made this type of cake in probably over 10 yrs, but knew it would be a cute way to 'inform' the kids. Just to see their expressions as we cut into the cake would be worth is all!!

before baking...


the calm before the reveal...


the result..notice how Mini Me looks in pain and the boys are doing a happy dance!
the cake

If I wasn't so excited and rushed I would have taken my time on the cake and made it look more presentable! But I was on the phone and emails and fb and well just plain excited and rushed! Poor hubs...after the appt he went to work and I must have called a bizillion times to talk about names and room themes!

Lily hasn't slept in her room since she was 11m old. (yes she co-sleeps) The room is all girl...pink everywhere. Butterflies hanging from the ceiling...flowers on rug...pink lampshade...pink on changing table...rocking chair (I can't cover cushions to save my life and too $$$ to get it done) curtains...AND THE BEDDING.

Well....we are going w/the COWBOY WESTERN THEME. I had wanted this theme since before Lily. In fact the boys had big boy rooms of the cowboy theme way back when...and get this..I saved a few things from their room. WOOHOO...here are some of the things I have



Here is the toy bag I want (cow print)....I have a friend that will make a tab valance to match the bag....(not a fan of the valance in photo) and I love the cow print blanket and pillow...
I'm even searching for a cow print diaper bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the rich rustic reds w/the browns!!!


When the boys were little I bought the thickest rope I could find at the hardware store and nailed (yes said nailed) it around the top of the room for a border. It looked great...until time to take down. I'd love to try that again w/o the nails, but how?

Any creative momma's out there w/cute western themed ideas?

I'm already having to recover a lampshade (and hate messing things up)

Can you tell I'm EXCITED?

For those wondering the girls name we had picked...Bridgid! Irish spelling and funny yet...the first day of Irish Spring is Feb 1st...my due date is the 2nd. Maybe next baby! haha


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

Congrats on the little boy! I loved the cake reveal!
Sam said…
Your kids are too cute, hehe! Love the before and after pics!

And that cake is awesome! I'll happily babysit your newest arrival in exchange for some cooking... hehee. I think we've talked about this before.. LOL
Congrats on the baby boy! This was such a fun post to read! You can see the excitement in your kids' faces in their "calm" photo!

Love the nursery ideas, too! I remember seeing&loving some of those things before we knew we were having a little girl way back when. If we ever have a little boy, I am still sold on doing a "Hey Diddle Diddle" theme.

Have a great day!
Lauren Frank said…
I am so excited for you! Let me know if you need help with anything. I love decorating and things like that, so I would love to help! Hope you guys are doing good!
beckylbranch said…
Your cake looks great and the kids faces are priceless! Congratulations on a precious baby BOY :)
Aww mini me does look like she's in pain lol!

Cute way to surprise the kids!

Love the room goodies you've score already!
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE LITTLE MR.!!!

I'm so excited for you guys and I'm sure he will be a very cute and handsome boy :)

I think Reid Cooper is a lovely name (wink wink).

Also I'll have to think about neat ideas for your western room. I love the theme.
CONGRATULATIONS ON THE LITTLE MR.!!!

I'm so excited for you guys and I'm sure he will be a very cute and handsome boy :)

I think Reid Cooper is a lovely name (wink wink).

Also I'll have to think about neat ideas for your western room. I love the theme.
carissa said…
congratulations mama!!!! i love love love the name reid! cooper or foster are both fabulous too for the middle name! i love the gender cake. mini me is thrilled! ; ) i think the cake looks pretty fantastic. your comment to me about "doing it all and making it look easy" made me cackle! i think you are the only one that can claim that title. you are a rockstar.
FYI...you NEED the book Lasso the Moon. I did a cowboy them for my son's nursery as well and this was our favorite book by far!
Congratulations on your baby boy. If we have a boy, we will most likely do a western theme as well. Absolutely LOVE the Sweet Dreams sign. SO cute.
The cake looks yummy. And the kids faces are priceless.
Enjoy it!
hot glue the rope! I hot glue stuff on walls all the time and then you just have to touch up some spots with paint when you take it down.
New Mommy!!! said…
OK, I am in LOVE with this room decor! So jealous!! I can't wait to have a little boy-I LOVE little boy stuff!!

If I lived in Texas, I would so do the cowboy/western theme! I LOVE those signs and that crib bedding!

That CAKE is FAB!! You are too cute!! How do find the time and money to cook so much! You are SUPERMOM!
Shannon said…
I'd never seen a checkerboard cake before! So very creative! It's just hilarious that the boys were so excited. Mini you's expression was priceless! Yay again for everyone in the family!
Caitrin said…
I am so excited for you! Congrats again! The checkerboard cake you made was a very cute idea and I love the cowboy theme for the nursery!
New Mommy!!! said…
I got the shirt at Von Maur which is a dept store we have in Illinois. The skirt was oopsy daisy, and it was $30 on sale. I really didn't want to spend that, but I decided that it would be our big Fall/winter purchase clothes wise. I figure we can get a lot of use out of it. Since it was clearance, they didn't have any matching shirts. I went back another day and that Hello Kitty shirt was on clearance for $5. I thought they would be cute together. She refuses to wear the boots. Ugh! Who is this child. She hates hats too! It's a nightmare. My daughter should love bows and hats!! I can't wait to tell her when she's older what she put em through not liking bows and hats and cute rain boots! ha!

Alos, I just re-read your post a little. The Rope border is SOOOOO Cute! Adorable. I can't wait to see it! Love that! And, the cake doesn't look bad. I ahve seen those before. I have wanted to do one too! I love how Mimi-me looks crushed-too funny! Love the name/spell of Brigdid!
Annie said…
Wow....that cake is amazing!! Love the kids expressions in that picture. GREAT idea on the coyboy theme...my Blake would lOVE that right now....he is on a major cowboy kick. Obsessed with horses!!
Angie said…
I love the western theme...awesome! The cake reveal was a great idea :)
Stef said…
What a fun mom you are! I think you need to come to my house and help me with my daughter's room. I just don't know what to do. She doesn't love pink, so...ideas??
stef.burns@gmail.com
Lori said…
Oh, and I added your blog to my blog list!

Popular Posts