Dumpster Diving

OK I didn't really dumpster dive...but I did get trash

This weekend the kids were having sleepovers  (hello long weekend)  and I went to pick them up

On my way to the kid's house I saw 2 pieces of furniture at the curb.  The closer I got the slower I drove....
"Oh My", I thought....
"Those are really cool....is that trash?  Are they throwing those out?  Should I stop?  No better keep driving"  
Those were  thoughts in my head....Because we all talk to ourselves right?

As I was sitting there waiting for the kids to come to the car I kept talking to myself 

"I really need to go back...I really need to get those...but should I knock?  I mean if they are by the curb I should take them right?  No I can't take them ...that's weird.  But they were really cool looking...I mean it's free...Why should I pass up free."

And so this conversation lasted about 4 mins while waiting...and my heart was racing...
I'm gonna get them...

The kids got in the car and I'm all like....  "Hop in quick...I need to get some trash"

We drive back to the house and I was going to just shove them in the back of the suburban...but felt all guilty like I was stealing...

Not only that, but the front door was open and their storm door was all glass and they could see straight out.

I knocked on the door and waited...I tried not to stare inside because that is just weird and rude...
Also they had a huge "NO SOLICITING" sign on their door

So I stepped back a ways and starred at my car (You can tell I never do this...)

The man answered in a gruff way (hello solicitor) and asked what I wanted.

In a sweet southern voice and all smiles I said...

"Are those really trash?"(pointing to my new find)

He grinned "Yep"

"May I have them?"  smile smile smile...

"Sure"  

BAM....

Off I ran and yelled for the kids to get out and help...

Here are my pretty little gems


No Idea where I am going to put them....they were truly in terrific shape and solid wood.  All they need to be is cleaned up and polished.  I'm thinking the boys might have new bed side tables when I get their big boy bedroom ready!

SCORE FOR ME.

Ok Now I am addicted to finding trash to make mine

Speaking of sweet finds.....

Dinner last night was yummmmmmmmy!


Pork Pad Thai
(picture Paula Deen's)

Pork Pad Thai

Ingredients
  1. 1 (8-ounce) box pad thai or flat rice noodles
  2. 1 pound ground pork
  3. 1 head bok choy, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
  4. 2 cups matchstick carrots
  5. 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  6. 1 tablespoon bottled minced ginger
  7. 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
  8. 1/2 cup chicken broth
  9. 1/4 cup soy sauce
  10. 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
  11. 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  12. 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic-chile sauce*
  13. 1 teaspoon sugar
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, combine noodles and hot water to cover; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, cook pork and bok choy, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat until pork is browned and crumbly; drain. Add carrot, and next 3 ingredients; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together broth and next 5 ingredients. Add to pork mixture, and cook 1 minute. Add noodles, and cook 2 minutes, stirring to combine. Serve immediately.

Serve this along side some Egg Rolls (I used store bought) and a Spicy Peanut Sauce
(hubs didn't like the sauce..we all did)

1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tb sesame oil
2 tb Sriracha sauce
2 tb creamy peanut butter

You will need to double the peanut sauce for eggrolls and then you can even use some to pour over the pork pad thai. This was a hit...tasted fantastic (prob even better if we could have added some more spice for adults)

So stick her on your menu for the week.

Comments

Katie said…
Nice find- they'll be so cute for the boys!! It's such a rush to find a cheap (or FREE!) treasure and I bet the guy got a kick out of making you so happy!
Amber said…
So awesome!!! I wish I could find some good trash. I only find the bad kind, haha.
LeAnna said…
THESE ARE SO AWESOME!!! And so "in" right now, to boot. Awesome score, girlfriend!

Popular Posts