Tribute to My Mother







"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."


Today I sat at the car wash for well over an hour. Luckily the kids weren't with me or I'd have been in trouble! I don't care if it pours down rain for the rest of the month, my car was so filthy that I couldn't recognize it when looking for the darn thing in a parking lot. Today was the day. I drove to Denton and visited with my mom on the way there. Told her I'd call her when I got in my car. 20 minutes later she calls to see how my car looks and to see if its raining in San Antonio. I reminded her I am in Denton. (Gotta love her) 20 minutes later she phones again to see if I'm in my car and I told her Nope. About this time a young girl with blond hair in a ponytail was sitting next to me. She was busy texting someone like all teens do. When my mom called the last time I heard the girl giggle. When I hung up she said she was sorry to eavesdrop (as if I have never done that.....) and said that she went to college a year ago and her mom makes her call her before she leaves...when she gets there....and after she gets home. I told her not to worry about it. I'm 33 married with 3 kids and my mom still does the same thing. Welcome to the age of cell phones.
As I was driving away I realized how much my mom does mean to me. How much I depend on the phone to ring and how I love to hear her special ring tone. One day she isn't always going to be around and I'm so gonna miss hearing her voice on the other end of the line.


We all need to take a moment to call our mom's and tell them how much we love them and how much they mean to us. I don't think I have a bigger fan out there then my mom. When I hurt she hurts...When I'm happy, she's happy.....and so on.


Thanks mom for being my best friend in the world!





Comments

Becky said…
Laura, I can so identify! I've lived most of the last 12 years of my life at least 800 miles away from my mother, but we still talk on the phone a couple times a week. God bless cheap long distance!

Popular Posts