Cole's Birth Story....Part 1

I thought I would break this up....1. so I don't bore you to death...and 2. (main reason) I don't have time to sit and write for as long as I want (grins)  someone has to hold this precious baby and kiss his face at all spare moments....and 3 my memory is coming and going about the whole ordeal...so I need a chance to collect my thoughts.

Sweet Cole's Birth Story

Monday was my due date ....8/6 and sweet midwife said I was about 2-3 cm dilated and 50% thinned...baby's head had been really low for weeks and weeks....I thought I had this in the bag.  She said it could be in the next 48 hrs or so before we met him....

You see....FROM MY PREVIOUS births I go fast in the end....with baby #4 I went from a 4-10cm in under 30 mins....I got to the birth center at around 11:30am and had her by 1:11pm....

with #5...I got there at 4:30pm and had him by 5:58pm...I went 7-10 in under 25 mins......so the joke was I needed to come in quick b/c I was gonna go fast. 

Monday Day.....nothing really going on with Cole

But Monday Night around 9pm...woohoo la la la...I started having contractions.  I went to bed (as if) and pretty much paced the floors....the contractions were good and I knew all was well on track.  By 2 am I told hubs we needed to pack a bag or make a list....I didn't think we'd make it past 6am at the way things were going.....I started to think...."wow this is it"  and   "Am I ready for this.. can I do this a 6th time?"

I went back to bed and remember rubbing my belly thinking today was the day I would see sweet Cole.......

4am I fell asleep and woke at 5:50 and realized my contractions were no longer close together...they were maybe 2 a hr.

I called my midwife by 9am to let her know I had started labor around 9pm,  but my contractions had slowed and it would probably be a long day...

They called around lunchtime to check in and I was still just like every 20 mins...nothing worth singing about.  I was having just mild mild pains...nothing that you couldn't cook a meal through or vacuum a house through

I was feeling a bit discouraged b/c the contractions were mild...not enough for me to get all ready to head to the midwife.....by this point I was tired and unable to rest....(I did try, but Reid came looking for me screaming and then proceeded to jump on my sides...not good)

I knew it was going to be a long day because since Monday I had had only a few hours of sleep...I was worried to eat much b/c I don't like the idea of getting sick....I did keep my fluids up ...and drank juice to keep my blood sugar up.....

The day was dragging on......

The midwife called again at 4:30 to ask how things were?....I told her only every 15 or so...nothing strong....she said to come on in and get checked anyways since they were done for the day....I'd have the place to myself.

So off we loaded all the kids and my mom and off we went....

here is Lily outside the birth center at the cute little table by the side door...we spend many of hours looking at all the butterflies on the flowers before appts.  (notice her red sparkle "Dorothy" shoes)

2


Both of my midwives were there....(one delivered Lily and one delivered Reid)  They said that since I go so fast they would BOTH stick around and bring in my last baby with them together!

HELLO HAPPINESS....I can't even begin to tell you how much my heart soared at that moment....

Betty was the midwife on call....so she went and checked me....I was about 5 cm and all looked good...

We came out and joked for a bit about how I better hurry home pack and get back...they didn't want a call I was birthing at home.  (see ....we ALL thought this was a no brainier delivery!)

I told them I needed to head home and feed the kids and put Reid to bed....(I still nurse him)

Sadly b/c I couldn't drive I got motion sickness on the way home and was feeling like poo...My contractions picked up and I calmed my head and stomach a bit ...

I went and bathed my 2 little ones ...trying to picture them as they were...thinking that this time tomorrow I would have a new baby with us in there....

My contractions were starting to pick up at this point...and let me tell you....Nursing Reid during contractions WASN'T AN EASY PLEASANT THING....I was sitting in the rocking chair....cradling him in my lap....my stomach would get rock tight....the pain would be more intense and he would look up at me with those blue eyes...I remember thinking this is it baby boy....pretty soon you'll not be my baby anymore....my heart seemed pitter patter just a bit harder....

I am ready for this right???!!

Back down to finish packing...My meal after labor?  Apple Juice and a Peanut Butter Sandwich...it's what I crave after I deliver.....
Then we kissed the kids and hubs and I left....

.....on way there we prayed together for a healthy safe labor and a healthy baby boy.  Of course I added my own extra...and please Lord let me not feel pain (insert goofy face)

We commented how it was different this time with Cole....with Reid the drive to the Birth  Center was during the ice storm we had back in 2011...all roads were shut down.....and were horribly icy and cars were overturned in the ditches...not a way to labor huh?  This time it was 7:30 pm...and HOT HOT HOT....

The ride there was a quiet and peaceful....and when we arrived the mood there was the same....PEACEFUL

Here's a view of the front of the birthing house...

1

Knowing my 2 favorite women would help us bring little Cole into the world made all the difference in my mood.....Here is was 8pm and dusk was setting.....and the house (the birth center is in an old historic home) was quiet and dimly lit.

I walked into the room where sweet boy would be born....and smiled thinking my sweet Lily and Reid were born in that same bed....

here's a view of the birthing room....See the Red Arrow?  That is where I stood at the side of the bed laboring for 8 hrs straight...that pole became my friend too (grins)

11

Betty checked me after we got all settled with our stuff in the room and I was a 7.....Wow we all thought....this baby is gonna come and we'll all be home by 11pm

So off I stood at my place at the side of the bed to labor.  I would rub my tummy during a contraction and then visit with the girls between.....(the reason I stand and sway...I've found this is MY  most comfortable position...I've tried the birthing ball...laying down...squatting...walking....and rocking chair.....but I've found standing and swaying and leaning on the bed works best for me) 

 My  back started hurting....I told them I was laboring in front and back...and we tried some pressure on my back...which helped a little bit...

I realized the room was too quiet so hubs found a really cool app on my phone of rain...that played the whole time we were there...it really really helped me through the contractions....(it's like at home...I can't sleep w/o some white noise)

At 9pm Betty checked me again....(deep sigh) was only a 7 still...

Back at it by the bed.....checked me again at 10pm.....still a 7....

Ok by now I'm feeling really discouraged.....I'm not progressing and my contractions are definitely  getting stronger though.  With each contraction I would rub my belly and talk to Cole coaxing him to keep moving down and out....

At this point we made a decision...we needed my contractions way stronger.  As bad as that is to hear when you are already laboring pretty good...I know from past experience they are NOT to the level they need to be.  So we decided to break my water.....and try some evening primrose oil to help thin things...

Back at my place by the bed...and the contractions picked up....I'm now in the 'moaning' stage...when each wave would hit I would rub my belly and make my "back in the throat mmmmmm" sounds....trust me it really does help.  I can tell by my MMMMM sounds when I am at my highest level of pain....(still not there)   

11pm checked me again...this time an 8.  Ok let's keep laboring folks....but I'm starting to tire.....Hubs is pushing the fluids on me, but I know the pains hurt, but STILL aren't where they need to be.  Which makes me want to cry.  

I remember glancing back at hubs with this look of....."are you kidding me...?  what is taking so long?  I am getting so tired...."  He came over to rub my back for me....

I mostly remember staring at that dern clock in front of me....the mins were ticking away...next thing I knew 20 mins ...30 mins....40 mins were passing yet again....and I'm laboring good, but still not where I should be.  

IT'S NOW midnight...we watch the clock ring in a new day....Wednesday August 8.  We joked what a great day....8/8....Lovely I'm thinking....just let's get it going...

Betty checks me again at midnight....still an 8..... I want to cry.  It's so hard to get on the bed to be checked in all the pain I'm in..... and then to hear her say....I'm sorry not yet.  

 I've had about 2 hrs of sleep since Monday at 9pm....I am starting to wonder how much longer and if I can do this....

My contractions are now picking up and getting closer and stronger.....I can't believe I'm not progressing....we go at it another hr.  I wish I could describe the pain...it goes from a manageable pain to s

She checks me at 1am....I'm still an 8...I'm hurting bad....

We try another route....she goes ahead to start an IV port (nothing in it yet) and then we try pushing a bit to see what happens...with Reid when I did this I shot to a 10....with Cole....nothing....so we try pumping....it helps encourage active labor....it causes the body to release the hormone oxytocin, which can cause stronger contractions.  

Honestly this was a pain...the contractions got SOOO STRONG...now I'm in my active Moaning Phase...I want to cry and cheer b/c finally I'm making progress.....I know that if I can do this for 20 or so mins I can have this baby....I remember throwing the pump down with each contraction b/c I needed both hands to hold and rub my belly....I'm hurting...I'm tired...and I'm begging Cole to come...

I remember putting my chin to my chest really getting into the contraction trying to relax my body....

I go at it like this for another hr....2am we check....STILL AN 8

Now I start to want to lose it...I remember telling Betty how tired I am.....and I'm starting to feel guilt b/c everyone there is falling asleep too....I want to tell everyone to sleep....I'm taking too long...It's all my fault everyone is here....the clock won't stop ticking the hours by...

Betty pulls hubs into the hallway and says that I'm not progressing like they'd like...i'm getting tired and if things don't change in a hr or so he needs to think about having me transferred.  Thankfully they don't tell me this....b/c knowing me I'd scream NOOOOO I am not going through all of this for nothing.....he tells them that as long as I'm fine and the baby is fine...to let us keep laboring...he KNOWS I don't want to step foot in the hospital...(he makes right decision for me)

I return to standing at the bed....pumping away....getting hit with wave after wave of pain.  throwing the pump down to grab my belly...and rub my belly...moaning loudly...begging sweet Cole to move down....

There is no way I haven't made progress...

It's 3 am and Betty asks if I want to be checked again.  Part of me screams Nooo and part is begging  Yes Please...

but...I'm still an 8
I want to scream and cry....but instead
I keep at it...and by this point I'm feeling delirious... I'm in major pain....rubbing my belly hard...refusing to give up....

TO BE CONTINUED.....




Comments

Jessi said…
Oh goodness :( Can't wait to hear the rest. What a long labor. I can imagine being ready to lose it after such little progress!
Amanda said…
noooooo dont do this to me lol i was all into the story
LeAnna said…
Ahhhhhh! Aren't you so glad it's over?! :) You did great, friend!
jen said…
I know where this is headed--posterior, right? I've had three posterior babies, and my labor stalled at an 8 with all three. Can't wait to hear the rest and see if I'm right.

And I feel all this pain with you. I remember it so well.
Unknown said…
I'm pretty sure I had a contraction just reading this and I'm not even pregnant. God Bless you and Cole, knowing this story has a positive outcome makes me relieved for you.
Dianna said…
You have me hooked! I can't wait to read the rest! I can't imagine going through it without meds. I saw an episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians where Kourtney watches a water birth and the lady moaning and screaming. That is what I keep imagining as I read this. Silly I know! You are one strong woman!!
Such a cliffhanger! I can't wait to read the continuation of his precious story!

And nursing Reid while you're in labor with C...wonder woman!
The Herd said…
you left us hanging after that!!! oh my....looking forward to reading part 2!

Popular Posts