You Evil Evil Little Site

Dinner is usually always on the table at 5:15 ...no later than 5:30

Yesterday? No such luck.

Why? Pinterest.

Yesterday while pinning I ran across this photo....(not mine...the cool chick over at Brown Paper Packages)

I knew I had to make these for the kids....Little did I know how the day would get away from me....I told child #2 and 3 they could play until 5:45....(plenty of time to make these and fix dinner right?)

Nah...I was busy doing other stuff....and then got my ingredients for those sweet gooey goodness treats....Clock check...5:30 pm ...still no dinner. (directions below again took directly from Brown Paper Packages...love her blog name)

Ingredients:

1/2 c. butter
1 c. light corn syrup
2 c. brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla
8-10 apples

Directions:

Combine the first three ingredients in a large saucepan. When the butter is melted, add the condensed milk. Stirring constantly, cook to 230 degrees (soft ball stage). Take off heat, and stir in vanilla.


5. Dip your apples!
I found that waiting just a couple of minutes after your caramel is done to dip apples really made a big difference--when it's super hot, it has more of a tendency to slide off. You don't need to wait too long--less than 5 minutes.

6. Once your apples have been dipped in the caramel, place them on your prepared cookie sheet. I let mine sit for about 10 minutes or so (either in the fridge or at room temperature) to harden before I add any other toppings. Leftover caramel can be poured in a buttered dish to be cut and eaten later...

(ok back to me...Laura)
And leftover caramel I did have ...and leftover I did pour into a buttered dish....and leftover MELT IN MOUTH TREATS I DID EAT.

It was pure chaos while making these...

Reid was in the highchair demanding more cheerios...
Lily was jumping up and down wanting to help momma stir the hot boiling candy....
Oldest child wondering where dinner was....asking if I was sick or something since it was way past when I have dinner ready....
Mini Me insanely asking if she could stick her finger in the 230' boiling candy b/c it smelled so good. (deep sigh)
Then enter Hedgie (child 2) ....rushes into house with arms open wide saying "I'm here for my food...plate me up"

He looks around confused...."Did I miss dinner already"

Me: "No honey mommy hasn't made it yet"

(looks at siblings) "Is mom sick"

Lily: "No she's busy Interesting"

Me: "no Lily it's Pin-teresting"

Kate: "Now can I stick my finger in"

Me: "Not unless you want your skin to peel off"

Hedgie: "So .....does that mean we are having dinner tonight? "

Me: "Yes, but I was making treats"

Oldest: " but you always have dinner ready by 5"

Me: "well today I don't"

Hedgie: "soooo that's a yes, that tonight sometime dinner will be made"

Lily: "Mommy Mommy Mommy....you are ruining my apples...you are making them all brown..."

Mini Me: "no Lily she's adding caramel to the apples ....can I lick it now?"

This is the point I wanted to scream GET OUT. but didn't.....hubs walked into the kitchen and started and finished dinner for me.....(awww)

Point of story....

Don't start Interesting (as Lily says) at dinner time....

But do make this recipe It's a keeper.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Ha ha! Love it!!!
Ashleigh said…
this is so cute! im sure you arent the only one who has let time get away from them- i do that with blogging/reading blogs in the morning. I will have to try this recipe!
LeAnna said…
LOL! This cracks me up, and it is SO TRUE!
Caroline said…
Love it! These look fab! :)
likeschocolate said…
I know it is so easy to let the day run away. I know those carmel apples look fantastic!
Nicole said…
I'm so jealous that you only had one day of late dinner!
Carey said…
I SOOO feel you!! Sometimes I think pinterest is the Best thing every and then I think where did the last 45 minutes go???? :)
Those look YUMMMM!
Jessi said…
As soon as I saw the title I KNEW it was pinterest you were referring too haha. YUM! Also, sounds like dinner at my house too.
Jumping Jack said…
I really want to live at your house!! It always sounds so fun... and you make treats daily! :)

Popular Posts