People vs Animal Lovers


I'm a people lover. (don't hate)

Some of you know this (aly). I mean I like animals...just don't love them. No hating....I just have a deeper connection to my kids and family and friends than to animals.

I think bunnies, puppies, kittens, birds, bears...(fill in the blank) are all sweet and cuddly. I like to think of them as Grandchildren. Something you can spoil and love on, but then give back to it's owner. I just don't need the mess...

We have a dog ...yes and guess what? I wanted him....no one asked ...not the kids...not hubs...ME.

I just thought a family needed a pet. I guess I forgot I wasn't a dog person.

Hubs and I went to Canton back in July 07. There was Moses...the last sheltie left and I wanted him. We left w/o him and that night I couldn't sleep...I told hubs we had to go back (mind you it's a 2 hr drive) and get that dog. I wanted him. Moses was 10 weeks old at the time and tiny and precious and needed a Mommy....(me) I begged and pleaded and swore I'd be the main person responsible......and I was for the first year. Then I realized dogs are messy. Well any animal for that reason. I mean I don't have the time and energy to follow him around and wipe the surface of everything he lays on or touches or licks. He drools and that grosses me out....I mean dogs don't wipe themselves after the bathroom and .....(list could go on).

Moses is scared of everything....rain, thunder, snow, anything wet, lightening, people, wind blowing trash. He lives to chase birds, but you see he has a sort of asthma called "reverse coughing" it's so sad really....he can only chase something for so long and then he starts gagging. We can't take him on walks b/c people stare...

Yes, the dog loves everyone in the house, but me. (I assume) I'm not bothered by it at all....

Yes, I pet him (occasionally) and say "hey moses I love you" ...but again....I'm not a dog person.

No haters please ...to each his own....I'm just more into People than animals.

When we got Moses he became a downstairs dog only. I didn't want his fur which is EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME 24/7...I CAN'T MOVE W/O SEEING IT on the carpet. So when he was a baby I put a baby gate at the stairs and he was trained NOT to go up. I think he's been a few times...but knows to sit at the bottom. I removed the gate when he was about 4m old and viola!

I trained him the same way to go out to potty. I put a bird bell on the back door. Every time we went out...I'd say "go outside" and make his paw ring the bell. I did this every single time for months. Then one day he started to ring it when he wanted to go out. I ended up taking it down, b/c the little crazy pup would ring it and run off. Ha Ha.

After Lily was born he got out the gate one day and I did have a panic feeling. (So I do love him) I found him, but was a mess the whole time searching for him. Guilt I'm sure

Lily was born and didn't bother him until this past year. She tries to play with him whether he likes it or not. He's so patient and gentle with her. She puts blankets and bunny ears on him and makes him dance....or carry her babies.....

Hubs and I make jokes that he's probably waiting for a chance to run away again to escape Wild Lily....

He really is a good dog...I wouldn't trade him or give him away....I like having him around...but

I'M JUST NOT A DOG PERSON.

A couple of nights ago we had a thunderstorm right about the time hubs and I were going to bed. We locked up and headed upstairs....We're in our bathroom washing our faces...brushing our teeth and hubs is sitting on toilet....(yes, TMI...but needed for the story)

All of the sudden Moses pushes his way into the bathroom....like "hello family....can I come in"

Of course I freak out...and being the horrible wife I am I assumed hubs brought him upstairs with him.

I look at hubs and say raise my voice "Why on earth did you bring him up here"

hubs (starts laughing) "oh yes honey...while sitting on the toilet I telepathically sent a message to Moses to come up here to annoy you"

me (stares at him processing what he said...then giggles)

hubs (shakes his head with the 'there my wife goes again' look on his face)

So I herded MoMo down back down the stairs....

I'm guessing the storm freaked him out. Hubs pointed out that I needed to comfort the dog and let him know it was ok. I did...I pet his head and led him to a quiet corner to sleep...

To make fun of me hubs will pretend to send silent messages to the dog to taunt me.....

(deep sigh) I'm living with a comic.



Comments

LOL that was hilarious about your husband. We are dog people, but I hate when the dog wants to lick faces or arms (yes she loves to lick arms!). Just cause I just watched her 5 minutes ago lick her butt!
carissa said…
Hahaha. Our affections for animals are the same. I like them but don't necessarily love them to pieces. I do think a family feels more complete with a four legged friend, though!
Just Brandi said…
Ugh. I hear ya, I'm not an animal person either.
Happens when you have kids. :)
My dog used to be my BABY! I took him everywhere with me in my purse and put clothes on him for Christ sake!
Now he's lucky if I pet him with my foot when I'm getting ready in the morning.
He's so annoying. haha.
And my other dog, well I just hate her.
Shes a 100 lb. black lab that sheds ALL OVER THE PLACE. I seriously used to pull clumps of black hair out of T's mouth when he was crawling. She's been an outside dog ever since.
OH YEAH, and she BIT ME once!
Yeah, I hate her. I often think about leaving the gate open and wishing she'd run off.
But her fat, lazy self would probably just lay there all day.
Ugh.
hahaha.
Your husband sounds so fun! Haha!

I was NEVER an animal person growing up. I actually didn't like them at all. But now, I am people person, but a dog lover. I have 2 dogs, both little dogs, that I love to pieces. However, my terrier annoys the heck out of me!

I asked for a shih tzu...a cute, fluffy lap dog with virtually no energy. What did I get? A hyper ass terrier. Thanks, hubby! Haha. A dog is definitely not a great surprise gift. I finally got my shih tzu and she is exactly what I wanted. She is the best dog!

Other animals...not so much...
Neely said…
Lol this is hysterical!
Ha! Oh telepathic husbands... I love both people and animals. Having worked at a zoo I have a healthy appreciation of what wild animals are capable of. You won't find me trying to get in touch with nature and hang out with wolves or some nonsense. Besides, both animals and people can be little turds. So in that respect you can't win. ;)
Angie said…
I live with a comic too....what would we do with out these funny men?? haha!

I love animals, but I don't love my animals so much during storms. They are terrified. They get all clingy and scratchy.
I love me some Moses, but the dog is nuts. He was barking/chasing air when I was over there. But he is so cute and he treats the kids well (and guests)!

Some people are not people persons. Others are not animal people.

I love the comparison of grandkids and dogs. It is SOOO true!! Ha!!
Lori said…
AWWW...it's okay. Not everyone is an animal lover! at least you take the time to comfort him and pet him ... so many dogs out there don't even get that luxury :)
Dianna said…
This blog is super funny! Love Hubs sarcasm! I am a dog person but I can't stand dogs that lick all of the time.
Kerbi said…
I totally get what you mean, sometimes I find my self thinking that our life would be easier without Bella. Then I come home from a rough day of work and she is just so excited and she just howls while I rub behind her ears and she always puts me in a better mood! We are more dog lovers than kid lovers! I would much rather have 2-3 dogs than a kid, because we can decide to go out of town at the last minute and kennel the dogs...it wouldn't be okay for us to kennel a kid! ha!
Jumping Jack said…
Thanks for the laugh!! I'm not an animal person either and am perfectly content to never have one of my own!
Stef said…
Haha. You could be my twin. I totally go in the bathroom when Hubs is there. And I blame impossible things on Hubs. I love it!

I love having a dog. But I don't like it when he puts his wet nose on my arm and nudges me to play. Hubs is the player.
Amber said…
HAHA! Too funny! I am with you though. I'm much more of a people person, not so much an animal person.
Anonymous said…
Ha! So funny! My little Rylie LOVES to be in our room with us and in the bathroom with us when we are in there. If we do not shut the bathroom door all the way she manages to get in some way or anther. Stealthy little thing she is!

Visiting from me2weest2011.blogspot.com

your newest follower!
Anna said…
Girl, I hear you!! I like MY dog, but I'm not a fan of other people's dogs. My family ranches so I do love and respect animals I just like them outside. :)

Popular Posts