Nice Nellie

I would like to think at times I've got some balls....the guts kind mind you! You know the kind where you are at a store or restaurant and when you aren't happy you say so. In a polite way....you can tell someone that something about your order or service isn't exactly what you wanted without being rude. But I don't ever want to seem unhappy....if the food is bad, I'll smile and say it was great. If I ordered tea and not water and they bring me water I'll drink it anyways. See my point here?

Brings me to a story last year that really makes me stew still .....I was weak and didn't stand up for myself and could kick myself now....but did I learn? NOOOOOO I keep making the same mistake....I guess I don't like making a scene or causing a fuss.

Story 1 year ago....I like to call it Miffed in Mesquite

My dear hubby likes to have things in sets of... well a lot. For instance, we have like 3 sets of silverware....so many pillows and towels that you would laugh at. Basically if something we have goes on sale he wants more....His reason is....one day the towels will get worn and we'll have a backup set. When we find something we like we stick w/it.

Well when it comes to plates he's no different. Garden Ridge Pottery was having a 75% off sale on this certain pattern of dishes. No name brand, but matched our theme of stuff....rustic style and some had roosters on them. This collection had a serving platter...pitcher....huge serving bowls...cake stand etc. They were really adorable. So we bought as much as we could....big square dinner plates, small dinner plates, cereal bowls...big round dinner plates and small round dinner plates. I know I know you're thinking why square and round....I agree pick 1...but since the plates came out to $..50 a piece etc why not buy all the set??!!!.....He said he wanted to find 12 pieces of each. So I set about driving all over town to all the different Garden Ridges hunting the sale racks for this pattern. I finally hit the last store way on the out skirts of town and make a beeline for this collection. I was floored...they had sooo many that I was angry that I didn't try there first......I think I was laughing and jumping up and down w/joy (if only you knew how far I had driven around town the past 4 days only to come up empty handed you would have jumped too) So insert the part which makes me mad......

Picture the scene...chick w/buggy down aisle obviously really happy about some dishes.....(ME) and some customer was next to me asking what all the fuss was about. I told her the quick story of how I had driven all over town looking for these dishes to complete my set. She asked me why I needed so many and I told her why....she made some snide comment about being a waste etc...(not really b/c how many times have you chipped a plate and then didn't have a full set????) I grab a handful of the small square plates and start counting them and placing them in my buggy. I needed 4 more. When I turned around she picked up the last 4 and said "ohhh these will look great on my table."

OK wait a minute....I NEEDED THOSE LAST 4 .......SHE JUST LISTENED TO MY STORY OF HOW I HAVE DRIVEN ALL OVER TOWN TO FIND THESE AND THIS WAS THE LAST OF THEM..

I said something about...."Man I'm still 4 short" so I get on my cell phone and speak loudly to my mother about how I am still 4 plates short so this chick would hear me....

She keeps them and I'm still 4 short. I am a weak weak girl. If I was stronger I would have said

Gosh lady....didn't you just hear me tell my story... don't take those last 4 plates that I need for my collection....do you really need those for ur table?"

But I didn't and she walked away w/them.

Everyday that I open my cabinets and see 8 plates I still get miffed....

Lesson learned.....NEVER SPEAK TO PPL WHEN YOU FIND SOMETHING ON SALE AND 2ND DON'T TALK TO PPL IN MESQUITE TEXAS....THEY ARE RUDE!

So have I learned my lesson? No not really. (story from last week)

We have been looking for the perfect throw blankets for the couch...I've been looking for over a year and finally stumbled upon ones that would be perfect. (esp so the kids will quit fighting over the ratty one we have now) So I call hubby asap and tell him I found some for $49 a piece, but they are perfect and I was going to get 2! He said go for it. I head to the display and there is only 1 chocolate color there....(figures there are tons of the other 5 colors, but not the color I need) There are 2 on the display of chocolate ...so I asked sales girl if they have more in the back. She checks and NOPE they don't. I then say, 'well then I would like one of the ones on the display'. She says she's sorry, but can't take them down b/c she needs 2 for the stand. ....UMMMMMMMMMM HELLO MISS RESTORATION HARDWARE SALES GIRL ...I'M ABOUT TO SPEND MONEY AND YOU WON'T SELL ME SOMETHING? So I say 'OK fine' and leave with only 1.
Why didn't I say, "well I guess you will have to choose 2 other colors from the millions of blankets you have so that I may have that one?" etc....
Because I'm too nice to want to cause a scene! But I'm the one out 1 blanket and will have to make another trip one day to purchase another one when more come in.

You would think I would learn my lesson.....but I don't. I'll work on that later!

Comments

Popular Posts