Dragon Slaying and The Cake



Mr Duncan "Reid" turned 3 on the 1st.  Seemed only fitting he was born in an ice storm and another ice/snow storm hit again 3 years later.  Hello good memories

The boy wanted a Dragon Party (I wanted camping...but hey...I'll go with knights and princesses too)

I couldn't really come up with activities to keep them entertained for long...(I mean you can only decorate crowns and shields for so long)  so bright idea?  Bounce House


My first time to rent one in 17 years.  Yes, I felt it was time!  So I rented a Castle shaped one.

I had foam swords for the boys and let the girls decorate crowns.  So between eating, bouncing, and running around the house screaming...I think it was overall a great party!

The Birthday Boy was confused and so we opened presents first.  (shakes head)

Menu?

Sandwiches
Macaroni Cups
Veggie Tray and dips (knight fuel)
Chips and Salsa (shields and dragon breath) 
Smokies and BBQ sauce (dragon treats)
Mashmallows (dragon eggs)
Red Kool-aid (dragon blood)

For the cake he wanted a Dragon.  So I hit where else?  Pinterest.  Thankfully there were tons 

So here was mine.



I found that the easiest way to ice a cake with cut edges is to pipe it on with your piping bag (I used tip #4) and then smooth it on.

I LOVED making this cake!!!



I literally took about 5 photos  I ALWAYS FORGET.  So please if you ever come to my parties...please take photos for me!  I think I mingle too much at my own parties!

My favorite thing was probably the Mac n Cheese Cups


I didn't really have a recipe that I followed.  I sort of combined a few that I saw on the internet.

Here is what I did for 24 cups plus some mini's (for all the sweet babies who came)

4 cups uncooked elbow mac
2 tbs butter
2 eggs beaten
2 cups milk
3 cups shredded cheddar and 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheeses
1 cup dry bread crumbs (I used panko b/c it was all I had)
parmesan cheese (not sure how much I used ...just kept sprinkling until I liked what I saw)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp salt
shakes of paprika

1. Preheat over to 360 and spray your muffin pans.  I then sprinkled some parm in all the greased cups
Mix bread crumbs, more parmesan and salt in a bowl; set aside

2. Bring pot to a boil and salt water.  Add macaroni and cook about 8mins, you still want them firm
Remove and drain and return to pan.   Beat eggs and add garlic powder, salt, mustard powder and paprika.  Add butter and slowly add eggs.....we are not making scrambled eggs here...until pasta is coated.  Reserve some cheddar cheese and then stir in remaining cheddar, milk, mozzarella, and more parmesan.  (NOW NEXT TIME I WOULD LIKE TO ADD MORE CHEESES.  THE FLAVOR WAS GOOD, BUT STILL NEEDS MORE CHEESES)

3.  Spoon into muffin tins and sprinkle with more cheddar and bread crumb mixture

4.  Bake 30 mins or until set.  I actually did the whole 30 b/c I was worried they wouldn't pop out.  I need to decrease time next time.  Keep an eye on them. 

5.  Let them sit about 20 mins in pan to pop out easier.  I used a spoon and gently scooped them.  WORKED PERFECT.


I love this last picture.  My birthday boy screaming nooooo, (can you see him right hand side standing)  as I was trying to take pictures of the party!  Thanks son!!







Comments

TerinAleah said…
I am glad you shared what the macaroni cups were - bc I was curious! lol! They sound delicious! And that dragon cake is amazing!!

Popular Posts