Conversation Between a Hubs and His Wife


Have you ever had this talk with your man?

I do every Sunday...I am weak I admit it

But I blame him.  He was craving a Buttermilk Pie last week... so I made not one, but 2.  The recipe called for 2 pies....THEY WERE HORRIBLE.  

We didn't eat but a piece and got rid of them.  (Ok we gave one to the inlaws....they were kind enough to say they liked it)

So my MIL said she had a friend that made a terrific one....I txt the friend and she sent the recipe

Again it made 2 pies

(what is up with Buttermilk Pies recipe making 2?....Must be a Southern Thing)


I think if I had actually started my diet on a Monday I would either be 8 months into my diet or be down that 20 lbs I keep saying I need to drop

Or if I wouldn't bake pies and actually eat them I would be ok too

But 

Since I did bake it...and I did eat it ...and because THIS RECIPE WAS OUTSTANDING ...I thought it only fair to share it with you!

Buttermilk Pie (makes 2)

Ingredients

3 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter
6 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup fresh blueberries, lightly tossed with 2 teaspoons of flour(divided use)
2 uncooked pie crusts, frozen or homemade (if frozen allow to thaw before filling)

Directions

Preheat  oven 350 and place  rack in oven in the middle

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour and the sugar. Set aside.

Melt the butter and pour over the flour-sugar mixture. Whisk until totally incorporated.

Add eggs 1 at a time, allowing each addition to become incorporated before adding next

Add the buttermilk and vanilla. Mix again. Set aside until pie shells are prepared.

Sprinkle the bottom of each pie crust with 1/4 cup of flour dusted blueberries

Evenly distribute the buttermilk filling between two pie shells. Once filled take spoon and push blueberries back down in filling

Put the pies on middle rack of oven. Bake for 25 minutes and rotate. Bake for 10 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and pie is set. ( I had to put foil circle around crust edge because it was getting to brown). 
Remove and let cool on rack. If baking ahead of time, once cooled, refrigerated until ready to serve. You can remove pie from refrigerator an hour before serving.

Note: substitute other fruit if you like, or leave out fruit all together   *we left fruit out and topped it with blueberry pie filling...bam!



Comments

Prolifegirly said…
wow that looks good! I have never heard of buttermilk pie, but if it's anything like custard, I'd love it. (hint- bring one across the street next time :P)

Popular Posts