Chicken Enchilada Pasta

 

This blog post didn't need any catchy title other than the name of the dish...it's that good

Chicken Enchilada Pasta

I ran across this recipe the other day....BHG October 2010.  If you have read my blog any you will know this seems to be the norm for me....I rip out recipes and 3 yrs or more later I stumble across it and make it.  I always wonder what took me so long...

This would be one of them.

Now I changed this up a bit.  You are supposed to buy those bigger shells and stuff them with the mixture.  

I'm a mom with 8 in our family...not only that...it is INEVITABLE that a child will bring 1-3 friends home at dinner time.  NO warning...boom kids show up.  So I make tons of food

When I see the words "stuff shells"  I think uh no way ..that means more work for momma.

Tonight was no different.... child #1 brought 2 friends home.  I stupidly didn't 1.5 this recipe.  We ran out....

Here you go...head to the store now and buy your ingredients....
Now..(I'll wait)


Ingredients
  • 1 12 ounce package  jumbo shell macaroni (remember I bought small/medium size shells)
  • 3 3/4 cups chopped large green and/or red sweet peppers   (I did one cup..my kids are weird and that seemed like a lot of peppers)
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped red onions (again...my kids freak..I did 3/4 cup)
  • 1 fresh jalapeno  pepper, seeded and chopped*
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 1 16 ounce can refried beans
  • 1/2 1 1/4ounce package taco seasoning mix (3 tablespoons)
  • 2 10 ounce can enchilada sauce (I used 1 cup)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups shredded Mexican-style four-cheese blend (8 ounces)
  • 1 cup sliced green onions (seems like a lot...you choose)
  • 2 cups nacho-flavor tortilla chips, crushed (I skipped this step)
  • Sour cream
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
2. In large skillet cook sweet peppers, red onions, and jalapeno pepper in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken, beans, taco seasoning mix, 1/2 cup (I did 1 cup..might add more next time for a bit wetter) of the enchilada sauce, and the salt. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup (I added a cup) of the cheese and 1/2 cup of the green onions.
3. Spread 1 cup of the remaining enchilada sauce in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon chicken mixture into cooked shells. Arrange filled shells in the baking dish. Drizzle with remaining enchilada sauce.
4. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chips and remaining green onions. Serve with sour cream. 

I skipped step 3 and 4
I stirred a box of cooked pasta shells into the mixture....then I poured it into a greased 13x9 baking dish.  I covered it with more more more cheese and baked uncovered for 20 mins 
We stirred sour cream in our when we ate it.  

This was a winner in our house!  

 


Comments

Jumping Jack said…
YUM! We will be having this at work next week!
Elaine said…
Sounds delish. Love your blog, it is a great real picture of your life fellow moms can relat to. I found you via LeAnna. She is awesome:) Thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts