And Now Another Word From Our Sponser

I'm taking a break to blog about myself. Yes, Yes, I know this is a mommy blog, but heck fire I can write about my stuff too!

I've been doing a ton of baking lately and was hankering for some of my Grandmother's Coffee Cake. I can't believe I didn't pick her brain way back when for some of her recipes to keep for later. I contacted my Aunts and sure enough one of them had it written down! WOOHOO!

Last week I checked my pantry and had everything I needed! Sadly I wish my memories included baking this with Grandma, but I don't remember baking with her...just eating the good stuff! I nearly wept with joy when I tasted the warm cake! It was almost like I was sitting her her kitchen eating a piece w/her all over again! I remember as a little girl sucking in my breath when I took a bite of the crumb topping and I'd cough on the powdered sugar she sprinkled on top. That day I became that little girl again and coughed on my powdered sugar! I baked this on the first day of the kids new school year! They had a yummy treat waiting for them when they came home w/a glass of milk! I told them the story of the coffee cake, but I'm not sure it really stuck like it did with me! Maybe one day my girls will ask me for all the recipes I've collected from family passed on!

Yesterday Little Lil's and I made Jello Cookies! My dear friend and neighbor from the old house used to bake these for us a few times a year! They were the kids and mine absolute favorite cookies! Thankfully the recipe yields 50 b/c they will be gone in a few days!

I thought I would share the recipe along with some photos and the final product! I also wanted to show off my latest (and currently favorite) measuring spoons.....I have an obsession w/measuring spoons....I collect them....Now how many people can you say that about? I like ones from simple to plain to down right unusual! So if you happen to run into some cute/cool ones in your shopping ventures please don't hesitate to call me and let me know where you are!


Jello Cookies
3 -1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened (Paula Deen would be proud)
1 cup sugar
6oz pkg of jello, any flavor, divided
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Mix flour and baking powder; set aside. Beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.

Gradually add sugar and 1 pkg. of the dry gelatin, beating until light and fluffy.

Add egg and vanilla; mix well. (hey look at my cool spoon)

Gradually add flour mixture, beating until well blended after each addition.

SHAPE dough into 1-inch balls. Place, 2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with bottom of clean glass.

Sprinkle with remaining dry gelatin.

BAKE 8 to 10 min. or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets to wire racks. Cool completely. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.

Ok yes, now I'm gonna show off my cute measuring spoons...each one says something different on the handle
The TBSP says, "A heap of love" the tsp says, "A spoonful of laughter" the 1/2 tsp says, "A dash of kindness" and the 1/4 tsp says, "A pinch of patience"! AWWWWW I love it!!!


Comments

LyndsAU said…
i got some of those preciosu measuring spoons for Christmas!! so stinkin cute!
Cora said…
OMGosh...I thought I was leaving but I just kept scrolling down your blog....
Jello cookies...One of my faves from my teens. I have not made them since, but thought about it over Christmas...I said thought. So you figured it out..I didn't make them :( These are perfect to use with a cookie press if you have one and they turn out beautiful. So fun too. I use the old hand turn (screw) type press.
Ok now I'm gonna have to make these....... YUM!

Thanks :)
Perfectly Jenn said…
My beau LOVES jello cookies. his mom always made them growing up and I just got her recipe for them. That's actually why I recently picked up a cookie press at Goodwill since her recipe calls for using one.
I might have to try your recipe as well though!
Thanks for visiting my blog!

Popular Posts